• Register Today It's free!

Lt285\70\r17 tires

Faethor

Reaction score
City, State
Fresh meadows
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Ok I've read the thread that stated that 265\70 r 17 fits with out modification.

In the future I would like to fit these specific tires on my explorer. I have no problem eventually lifting or cutting fenders or going with Baja fenders to accomodate these tires on my explorer. But I would like to keep my vehicle with as low of a center of gravity as I can. I'm not looking to build a mall crawler or a rock crawler or an off road mud pit beast. This is my daily driver and it will see mostly off highway (hunting and such) 4 high conditions. But I love these tires (I've had on a previous vehicle).

So the question is for this size would I need back spaced rims , lift of body or cut fenders for the rear or the front?

I will be putting stiffer shock \ spring combo on in the future regardless as I don't like the spring rate of these old suspension.

But I am willing to lift cut get new fenders replace bumper and backspace to accomodate these tires (I'm very motivated for these specific tires)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I've read the thread that stated that 265\70 r 17 fits with out modification.

In the future I would like to fit these specific tires on my explorer. I have no problem eventually lifting or cutting fenders or going with Baja fenders to accomodate these tires on my explorer. But I would like to keep my vehicle with as low of a center of gravity as I can. I'm not looking to build a mall crawler or a rock crawler or an off road mud pit beast. This is my daily driver and it will see mostly off highway (hunting and such) 4 high conditions. But I love these tires (I've had on a previous vehicle).

So the question is for this size would I need back spaced rims , lift of body or cut fenders for the rear or the front?

I will be putting stiffer shock \ spring combo on in the future regardless as I don't like the spring rate of these old suspension.

But I am willing to lift cut get new fenders replace bumper and backspace to accomodate these tires (I'm very motivated for these specific tires)

The main question about tire fitment was for the rear tires. I've been reading all the stickies and such but every one is concerned about the front tire clearance rubbing.... This is my first irs SUV truck so I don't know if it's like my old truck was with rear tire movement and rubbing.

The main question about tire fitment was for the rear tires. I've been reading all the stickies and such but every one is concerned about the front tire clearance rubbing.... This is my first irs SUV truck so I don't know if it's like my old truck was with rear tire movement and rubbing.
I do have this size tire on my 2003, that being said I have not had any rear rubbing.
IIRC I did use 1"back spacers because I am on stock wheels.
I also have 2" body lift and BTF spacer lift, I think the rear is 1.25" spacer?? Whatever the max spacer size BTF makes for 3rd gens.

I wanted to go with 18" wheels but couldn't find or figure out the backspacing needed with also having hub centric wheels. The spacers I found are hub centric spacers though, I would have to dig deep into my order history to find them on Amazon. LMK if needed.

I do have this size tire on my 2003, that being said I have not had any rear rubbing.
IIRC I did use 1"back spacers because I am on stock wheels.
I also have 2" body lift and BTF spacer lift, I think the rear is 1.25" spacer?? Whatever the max spacer size BTF makes for 3rd gens.

I wanted to go with 18" wheels but couldn't find or figure out the backspacing needed with also having hub centric wheels. The spacers I found are hub centric spacers though, I would have to dig deep into my order history to find them on Amazon. LMK if needed.

Ok so you have spacers that moved the wheel out by an inch. That is really helpful info (not joking) because I was looking at some 17 inch rims that have -38 mm which is inch and half moved out. And I was thinking that doing that offset up front with a 0 offset in back might work.

Ok so you have spacers that moved the wheel out by an inch. That is really helpful info (not joking) because I was looking at some 17 inch rims that have -38 mm which is inch and half moved out. And I was thinking that doing that offset up front with a 0 offset in back might work.
Yea, I really never wrapped my head around the offset, at least when I was trying to find 18" wheels, they either didn't have the offset listed or didn't have the hub size I needed.

After looking, these are what I purchased https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FFBD19K/?tag=serious-20
They are 2" and were 39$ for a pair in early 2019

Going to try and insert pictures.
Notice the rear toe link, this is the main reason I wanted 18" wheels and am astounded that 16" came stock, mine are the stock factory 17"
IMG_20200726_112739641.jpg
IMG_20200726_112524430.jpg
IMG_20200726_112723679_HDR.jpg

These are the tires I'm looking to drop in for my every day\ on road tires

I've had them before and loved them.

These are the front fenders I'm looking to put on to allow for them

I reckon I will buy a second set or talk to manufacturer about getting some rear fenders to match. Then I can grind off cut massage them on. Seeing how yours fit helps narrow down the exact path I will be taking now. Thank you so much for the info and help!

I reckon I will buy a second set or talk to manufacturer about getting some rear fenders to match. Then I can grind off cut massage them on. Seeing how yours fit helps narrow down the exact path I will be taking now. Thank you so much for the info and help!
Let me add this pic since it kinda shows what's under the fender flares. I had paint marked it where I was going to cut it to repair the hole. But the Charger went down and I had a trip to FL to make so left it alone.
Edit: whoops, now I can see i didn't have the portion in focus where the body rusted through, but you can kinda see where it starts.

Very nice on the Fenders. I'll have to bookmark that, for if my new gen Bronco dreams don't come to fruition.
IMG_20200726_112443895.jpg

I wanted to add these pictures. On how I dealt with the rear bumper cover.
Granted I used two inch block
IMG_20200728_180026509_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200728_175956224_HDR.jpg

Back