• Register Today It's free!

Ltd????

Gln

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
How can I know if my XLT is a Limited Edition? I recently bought it and have no history available. I am wondering if it might have been wrecked and the Limited lettering removed.

Will the VIN indicate if it is a Limited edition?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the difference is that the XLT has an upgraded radio (6cd changer & rear counsel ), running boards, roof rack stuff like that.

At least mine has all that stuff.

Limited????

I know I have an XLT. What I do not know is if it is a Limited edition. How can I tell if it is a Limited?

Well if you have an XLT then you don't have a Limited - they are two different trim levels. The Limiteds have body colored bumpers, grill, and fender flares, different seat covers (I believe "Limited" stitched in them), fake woodgrain trim in the interior, etc...

Correct... A Limited was a different trim package. If it says XLT, it's unlikely that it was once a Limited.

edit: In fact, now that I think about it, was there a second-gen limited? IIRC, the Limited was the top of the line first-gen. Wasn't the top of the line second-gen and Eddie Bauer? I don't recall a second-gen limited.

Yes...there are second gen Limited's. I have one now at the local salvage yard I'm robbing parts off! I believe it's a 2000 if I recall.

Interesting... I probably have seen 'em, just never paid that much attention.

Yup, there is a second gen Limited.

Better seats, (IMHO- I put some into Snowball- has "Limited" stitched into the seatbacks) woodgrain stuff, etc... Body colored bumpers, different wheels, etc, etc...

2nd_Generation_Ford_Explorer_Limited.jpg

Ya know something funny? I saw three of them (Limiteds) while I was out at lunch! LOL!

Not all of them did... IIRC, the 6-disc was standard on the limited, optional on the EB and XLT.

-Joe

Not all of them did... IIRC, the 6-disc was standard on the limited, optional on the EB and XLT.

-Joe

my EB has fake wood trim. I always wondered if the last owner did it or it was stock.

Back