Lucas Oil

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I noticed at Pep Boys the other day that Lucas Oil has come up with an oil. I was thinking about trying the 5w30 since I really like their additives and think they make a great product.

Anybody have any feedback or comments on this oil?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would stick with a proven product such as Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, Royan Purple.

I prefer Amsoil products.

I agree with Al. Synthetic first of all is far superior to conventional oil and if you search the Amsoil website you'll see some tests performed by independent labs (paid for by Amsoil) that show Amsoil to be the best w/ Mobil 1 right behind. None of the others even come close. Redline and Royal purple weren't on the test)

Amsoil has a far more extensive line of synthetic products thtn anyone else and was the first to develop an API rated synthetic

I would definately try it out, I am running amsoil, but like you stated lucas makes great products. Are you having a hard time finding their gasoline additive? All the shops by me are always sold out. There are no pepboys around me.

-Rich

lucas makes very good products. They are better known for thier products for diesels.

As much as I like Amsoil, if the price is right I'd imagine Lucas would measure up well. I love their fuel line treatment. Lucas has a good reputation for high quality products. I don't think you'll go wrong with them. :thumbsup:

Best performance I ever got out of my vehicle was when I used 4.5 quarts Royal Purple 5w30 and 1 quart Lucas oil additive. Engine ran very smooth and reved effortlessly.

Love the gas additive to and yes sometimes it is hard to find.

Amsoil I am sure is great stuff but like everyone else they guild the lilly a bit and measure their 100% full synthetic oils against regular oils and synthetic blends.

Even on their ball bearing wear tests they graph in very, very small increaments so even a negledgeable advantage looks huge. Ex, wear with Mobil 1 0.00000076, wear with Amsoil 0.00000042.

Also, I am sure Amsoil only chose to put the tests that they excelled in on the marketing brochures. Are there any independant tests on Amsoil?

Not hateing on Amsoil but is it really that much better in every catagory than other synthetics?

I am sure they have some statistics somewhere. Lucas has a lot of money to play with, they sponser several NHRA events.

Lazzman said:
I am sure they have some statistics somewhere. Lucas has a lot of money to play with, they sponser several NHRA events.

I want to see VOA and UOA data from an unbiased user not the manufacturer.

I hear ya.

I am pretty sure that it is a great oil though as I have used 3 of products with great results.

aldive said:
I want to see VOA and UOA data from an unbiased user not the manufacturer.

doesn't amsoil pay for all the test they run on their products? not knocking it, I run amsoil in my truck. However I feel must company test their own products and put what they rank best on in their ads. That's how advertising works.

-Rich

I am sure they do.

However, I base my oil decisions on VOA and UOA tests that I have run.

While it's true that Amsoil pays a independent lab to run these tests, ( try finding someone else to pay for it) they are, never the less, independent studies.

They test against more than just one synthetic. And other than Mobil One, they are truly significantly better than anything that has been tested. (Or I suppose it's possible that some oils were omitted from the test results, but then wouldn't any other company that is better also pay for testing to prove they are better?)

Amsoil is the first company to develop and sell API certified oil in the world. (therefore the most experience) They have state of the art facilities and QA every batch b4 it leaves the factory.

Everything about Amsoil points to a top quality product. (someone has to be the best) If there is another oil out there that is better then they should open their wallets and pay for some independent tests to prove it.

I'm not saying Lucas (by the way is Lucas a synthetic?) is bad, just that Amsoil is most likely the most technologically advanced lubricant on the market.

If your interested here is lnk for and extensive test paid for by Amsoil. http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

I always try to pay attention to what I don't see, and I don't see any other oil companies paying for and releasing test results.

(yes, I'm recently a dealer, but I felt this way for a while b4 I became one) (And no I'm not looking for a sale)

I like Amsoil products a lot and the only reason I am not using it at the moment is because I can't afford to buy a 12 qt case. I do remember seeing on their oil comparison though that they put their full synthetic up against synthetic blends and conventional oils. IMHO it should have been all synthetic oils and Red Line, Royal Puprle, Torco included.

Seemed a bit strange to me that they would measure their fully engineered synthetic against a conventional oil, whats the point?

I don't use Lucas oil but do use their additives in my truck and love them, particularly the gas, oil and trans treatment. This oil change I am going to give it a shot as it is readily available at Pep Boys.

I will eventually order 12 qt cases of Amsoil at some point. I do believe in the product.

Personally, if you run a good oil, I don't feel the need to run an additive.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com has some interesting testing in regards to Lucas.

that link I posted shows the Amsoil against 3 other full synthetics.
The way isee it, I can't afford not to use Amsoil.
25,000 or one year for both the oil and the filter? Nothing else I've seen comes close.( i know a lot of people don't trust that, but the way i see it i'd rather have 25,000 mile old Amsoil in my crankcase than new conventional)

If you go with Lucas motor oilo, be sure to use the full synthetic version; they have blen also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks I will only put Full Synthetic in my beast.

If I had the money right now I would buy a case of Amsoil from Aldive.

Just easier at this time to fish around in my seat cushions and pawn together the $20 or so for the Pep Boys Lucas.

Back