Lunchbox LSDs for open carriers

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
I need to pop open the rear diff and remove the axle shafts to fix my parking brake anyway.

I have a 4.10 open rear diff, so I'm assuming I have an "open carrier" as well, right? The open carrier is smaller than the LSD carrier?

What is the cheapest diff upgrade?

Are the stock Explorer Traction-Lok's lunchbox for an open carrier or do I have to replace the carrier involving the gear rebuild.

I've read about the lunchbox lockers, but are there any open carrier lunchbox LSDs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never heard of a "lunchbox" LSD. The Ford Trac-lock carrier is different from the open carrier, so if you want to put a Ford unit in, you have to change carriers.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't thoroughly know the aftermarket, but I haven't heard of any limited slips that use the existing open carrier. All of them that I'm aware of require replacing the carrier.

The powertrax no-slip is the closest thing you will get to a lunch box LSD. It's still a ratcheting type lunch box locker, but is smoother operating than others.

I need to pop open the rear diff and remove the axle shafts to fix my parking brake anyway.
Really? I thought the parking brake mechanism is "outside" of the axle shaft's hub/flange.

The open carrier is smaller than the LSD carrier?
The only difference between the LSD and the open carrier is the width of the space inside the carrier. The LSD carrier is a little wider inside to make room for the clutch discs. The LSD carrier also has a little notch for the friction discs to sit on.

What is the cheapest diff upgrade?
Aussie Locker but its not a LSD.

I've read about the lunchbox lockers, but are there any open carrier lunchbox LSDs?
Most lunchbox lockers are designed for the open carrier -- they will not operate properly if installed in the LSD carrier.

If you are interested in the trac-lock LSD, i've got one i just took out of my truck i could sell. It would also need new clutch discs which i think is about $50. Like others said it is not used with the open carrier you have now.

There's no need to pull the axle shafts to work on the parking brakes. Yes, it makes it easier, but I've repaired mine multiple times without ever removing the axles.

The shoes are about the same diameter aas the flange... it's tough to work behind them, but not impossible.

-Joe

Oh, and to answer the question, I've yet to see a lunchbox limited-slip. There are a few lunchbox lockers out there... the names escape me at the moment, but IIRC, the Aussie locker is one of them (or is that only for the fronts?)...

-Joe

As far as my parking brake, something is drastically wrong with it. I've tried everything, even replacing all the cables, it seems like something is seizing up inside the disc. I've tried working on it with the axle shafts in, but it's too tight, I want to open it up and take a good comprehensive look at it. Anyway, it's a good excuse for new diff fluid (120k miles) and a locker.

Here's the Aussie Locker for Ex 8.8 rears:
http://www.aussielocker.com/item.php/TM4843b6/dcdf/06/306008/.html

1) I know the mechanical difference between LSDs and lockers, and I know lockers are superior for offroading, but what are the characteristic differences between a LSD and an automatic locker for wet weather road driving? Would the Aussie help or hurt wet weather highway driving? What is this issue about LSD's going downhill?

2) So the Aussie is the cheapest. What are the cons of it? Is it weaker than other automatic lunchbox lockers, is it just loud (which is a plus in my book), or does it engage/disengage at inappropriate times?

3) Does the Aussie fit open carriers, LSD carriers or both? If a lunchbox fits an open carrier, does that mean it will fit the larger opening LSD carrier or do they have to be different lockers?

Would the Aussie help or hurt wet weather highway driving? What is this issue about LSD's going downhill?
The Aussie locker would hurt wet weather driving. There is no issue with a LSD locker going downhill but there is an issue with most lockers when off-camber. This issue is related to wet waether driving. But on off-camber slippery stuff, the locker causes the axle its on to slip downhill.

2) So the Aussie is the cheapest. What are the cons of it? Is it weaker than other automatic lunchbox lockers, is it just loud (which is a plus in my book), or does it engage/disengage at inappropriate times?
As stated, it will have a negative effect on wet weather driving.

3) Does the Aussie fit open carriers, LSD carriers or both? If a lunchbox fits an open carrier, does that mean it will fit the larger opening LSD carrier or do they have to be different lockers?
It only fits open carriers. While it may fit in an LSD carrier, it will not work appropriately as the gap will be too wide.

These traits are common for most lunchbox lockers including the PowerTrax and so on. So search for those items and the discussion will apply to Aussie locker for the most part.

Don't forget the locker will make the vehicle behave differently in snow driving as well. I haven't gone to an automatic rear locker as I use the vehicle to go skiing and don't want to drive a snowy I-70 with a dicey automatic rear locker.

Don't forget the locker will make the vehicle behave differently in snow driving as well. I haven't gone to an automatic rear locker as I use the vehicle to go skiing and don't want to drive a snowy I-70 with a dicey automatic rear locker.

Auto lockers work just fine in the snow if you know how to drive with it. It is more "involved" than driving with an open diff or limited slip though. Just realize that if you gas it the rear end will want to pass the front, if you don't know how to slide and counter steer you won't like it though :D
Most people don't like it, maybe I'm an oddball. Same goes for wet weather driving. If you gas it, both rears will spin and the front will kick out to the outside of the turn. It just takes more throttle control to keep it going straight. It is definitely nice having both tires pushing hard from a straight stretch though.

Back