Lund Wind Jammer Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lund Wind Jammer Install

The Lund Wind Jammer that I ordered from Truck Stuff USA (Dead Link Removed ). It cost $79.00 delivered to my door. This is a great company; my order was at my door 2 days after ordering with no extra freight charges.

The wing is made of a shiny black plastic. It would probably look ok mounted as it comes; however, I wanted it to match my truck’s color (Chestnut Metallic ).

I ordered paint from Paint Scratch (http://www.paintscratch.com/). On their website you can match the factory paint code ( B4/M6938 ) and they make the paint and in my case put in 12 oz spray cans of Chestnut Metallic Clearcoat. It took about 10 days to arrive. They have a section on their website where you can check your order status.

First step in the painting process was to thoroughly sand ( 600 to 1000 grit ) the wing to prep it for 2 coats of “red” primer. The primer was sprayed on and allowed to dry 1 hour followed by a sanding with 1000 grit paper then another coat. This was allowed to dry for 24 hours.

Then the color paint was applied in 3 coats with 1-hour drying time between each coat. This was followed after a 1-hour drying time, with clear coat, I used 3 coats with a 30 minute dry time between coats.

I let the wing dry overnight and then gave it a good rubbing with rubbing compound. Then I mounted it to the truck with the supplied 3M tape.

The paint came out looking very “factory”. I am happy with this project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shempy said:
Hey Aldive,
Just wanted to knowhow many cans of primer, paint and,clearcoat it took to do the job? I just don't want to order any more than i have to.

Read the first post in this threas' it tells you there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Al, you still running with the WJ on? I got one and it's still in the box. Just wanted to know what you think about it now after several years.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Al, you still running with the WJ on? I got one and it's still in the box. Just wanted to know what you think about it now after several years.

Still running it.

Only problem I have had was the tape ccane loose on one side and I had to replace the tape.

I like it.

BBQ do ya wanna sell it ?
Assuming it fits.

Awesome, looks great.

Sorry aldive, but i'm still pretty much a newbie. Is each coat a full 12 oz can?

No, I did all coats with 1 can and had a lot left over. The winfg is not that big.

Thanks alot for your help aldive. That is all i neede to know. BTW your spoiler looks great.

Back