M112 on Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M112 on Explorer

Hi guys,
So here is the story. I had a m90 kit from explorer express for a while no problems, but motor finally gave up. I now have a built 347. I had the m90 with stock pulley that had made about 5 psi on the original 5.0, on new motor it didint even make it to 2 psi, got the blower ported, put a smaller pulley that was supposed to make 9 psi on the stock 5.0, now i make a happy 3-4 psi. :thumbdwn:. So i need to upgrade. I was initially planning on doing a compound boost setup that would have probably solved my issue, but i just like the wine of the eaton so much i dont want to loose it. Thanks to lifted4.0 awesome build i now want to put a m112. has anyone seen a m112 on a v8 explorer? besides the hood clearance. i think the nose on the m112 is too long or maybe the placement of the sc has to be farther back. This is the current setup I have and the nose is really short.

IMG_3663.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to see if anyone can run that 112 on the 5.0L I have heard it is hard to fit because the of the nose length you have to go to a mustang accessory front end or something, but I want to see one do that would be awesome and would consider following :)

Cool I never even seen that kit. I wonder how big is the supercharger. From the pictures it looks kinda small. The m90 is also rated from 3.8 to 5 liter engines. I got a whole kit eaton m112 from a lightning for 300. I'm goign to make a plate and try to put it on there.

The bigger blowers are needed for a good V8. The second thought should be how much boost versus the compressions you have, and whether an intercooler can be fitted.

The Eaton Explorer kit is of no use over the designed 6-8psi for a 302. With a 347 you need more airflow, and you know that.

That Weiand kit looks interesting, but it still requires some fabrication of the pulley stuff, it appears like.

The Eaton project like others have done with a 4.0 is fine, but consider doing a really nice system. Can you get an efficient blower mounted with an intercooler also? I have the blower, a KB 2200, but getting it to go on with an intercooler is the hard part. I'm thinking of mounting it sideways against the side of a fabricated upper intake. The space around the AC box is tight, and that's where it would be good to stick it. I'm not picky but give it some thought. The intake can be made without too much trouble, and have an intercooler in it. The hard parts are doing the pulley/belt mounts, running the air inlet pipes and TB to the blower etc. Good luck,

The Eaton project like others have done with a 4.0 is fine, but consider doing a really nice system. Can you get an efficient blower mounted with an intercooler also? I have the blower, a KB 2200, but getting it to go on with an intercooler is the hard part. I'm thinking of mounting it sideways against the side of a fabricated upper intake. The space around the AC box is tight, and that's where it would be good to stick it. I'm not picky but give it some thought. The intake can be made without too much trouble, and have an intercooler in it. The hard parts are doing the pulley/belt mounts, running the air inlet pipes and TB to the blower etc. Good luck,

Humm...Interesting, I agree though the intake is the easy part the hard part is the brackets. Sounds fun to try if I had a blower laying around. :)

The bigger blowers are needed for a good V8. The second thought should be how much boost versus the compressions you have, and whether an intercooler can be fitted.

The Eaton Explorer kit is of no use over the designed 6-8psi for a 302. With a 347 you need more airflow, and you know that.

That Weiand kit looks interesting, but it still requires some fabrication of the pulley stuff, it appears like.

I am going to be running low boost 6-8 psi, so I really wont need an intercooler, i think temps would be ok at that psi, If i spin the sc faster then more heat and i would need a intercooler. Plus I cant run the intercooler, remember the intercooler has to go after boost then into the engine, like lightning/cobra intercooler they are placed inside the lower intake manifold underneath the SC. I would need a huge cowl hood to fit an intercooler underneath the already tall Lightning S/C, I dont really want a big 4 inch cowl.

whats a 347..like a 5.4? the lightning people are running intercoolers at 8psi stock and im not sure of their temps but i think they are like 125ish or something like that?

at the very minimum water meth would be the quick fix. although if you are not running intake temperatures or like 140 i have heard that water meth isnt really worth it..cause it wont cool the charge as much (you basically must put the water meth after the charger if you do that)

and you wont really have any idea how much boost you will be running untill you actually read the gauge.....unless you are set on finding the pulley combo that makes 8psi...in which case, you still have to read the gauge first and it could be 12psi...with the stock lightning pulley due to your heads and compression ratio of the pistons.

mounting the kenne bell or something would probably just drop the intakes like 20 degrees just like that because they are soo much more efficent with the compression happening inside the blower
CDW6212R-is that something you are working on right now, like hard core?

The intercooler is worth it if the goal is bigger power with the blower. If you do keep the boost low, then the mild fabrication is a good plan and bolt it on.

I want much more power than the typical combination, it just takes a few more things to do it. I have the Kenne Bell blower, but I haven't gotten into it to see how the logistics of mounting it will work. The hood needs to be low, no holes etc, I agree.

Why not start with the Cobra blower then, you don't have the tall inlet on top with those?

i should let him take this one cause i have never seen the bay of a exploerer, but that is gonna be much longer..and i THINK you can change out the length of the snouts? tell me if im wrong, if thats soo, then i would agree that would be a better option :)

The intercooler is worth it if the goal is bigger power with the blower. If you do keep the boost low, then the mild fabrication is a good plan and bolt it on.

I want much more power than the typical combination, it just takes a few more things to do it. I have the Kenne Bell blower, but I haven't gotten into it to see how the logistics of mounting it will work. The hood needs to be low, no holes etc, I agree.

Why not start with the Cobra blower then, you don't have the tall inlet on top with those?

Cobra blower is too long & the inlet is on the side. The factory ac stuff is in the way on the explorer. Lightning blower was a better choice because it is shorter and clears the ac stuff. I dunno how tall it will be on the explorers engine. But i think it won't really fit under stock hood. Maybe 1 inch or 2 in cowl will take care of it.
Remember still have a lot of stock parts, tranny, axles, diffs, driveshafts, specially awd has more moving components. Who knows how much power they can handle. I'm keeping those in mind. That's y I'm not gonna shot for max hp & tq.

347 is like 5.6 Also I think magnasun makes drive extensions of different sizes for all eaton superchargers.

stock stuff can sometimes hold some power...not saying go for broke, and im not sure what im saying cause you wont know when you are hitting the threshold till it breaks, ahahaha but ya!!

o what i would do to have a 5.6 in my t-ruck

Back