How to: - M50D-R1 to M5OD-R1HD Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: M50D-R1 to M5OD-R1HD Swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Will my T-Case work?

I wasnt sure what you ment about the transfer case. I have a 94 4.0 4x4 ranger with a M5OD in it. It needs replaced, I am currently looking at a M5OD from a newer ranger. I currently have the stock push button 4wd T-Case in my ranger. If I go with the new transmission and tailshaft will my transfercase work or do I need to go with a manual T-Case?

Also will the old (i believe you called it trans end), meaning the part that the shifter bolts to on the top of the trans, bolt up from the older M5OD to the newer M5ODHD so that I would not have to cut and weld the shifter?

This is my daily driver so any help is appriciated. Thanks!

A note on this. The HD was stock in my year Sport, so I didn't have the bosses. When I swapped in a manual t-case, I was able to make a bracket that located the linkage. So it is possible if someone wants to do it.

CIMG0164.jpg

I installed new M5OD shifter bushings and now the shifter will not move or shift

I installed new M5OD shifter bushings and now the shifter will not move or shift

did you grease them when they were installed? are all the old parts removed? is it all properly oriented?

Back