M5OD has bad countershaft bearing - need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5OD has bad countershaft bearing - need advice

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
I'm getting a grinding sound in all gears except 4th which is a pretty good indication that something is going south on my countershaft. I also got a local trans shop's opinion, and they said the same thing.

I can try and rebuild it (which I've actually done once before on this box), or there's a local rebuilder that will do it for $550 w/ core exchange. New bearings, synchros, seals. Also, he said I can get the shorter 1-2-3 gear ratios from the 2.3 and 3.0 transmissions if I want.

This strikes me as a good deal and the shorter gears also seem like an advantage. It would help with towing (admittedly, no 5-speed Explorer is going to be "good" at towing, but maybe for the occasional track day?) It doesn't seem to be any downside to the shorter 1-2-3 ratio.

Any comments/suggestions/opinions welcome...

Local shops here want $750-$850 for that same job.

Guess it all depends on your wallet, your time, urgency, and the want vs need, for letting them do it.

If it has to be done anyways, how much are the parts if you did this yourself? Is the cash difference worth your time for them to do the deed?

Maso I got a rebuild kit for M5OD. Let me know if you want it. has everything: gears, bearings, shift dogs...

Back