M5OD manual trans question

Micky.D

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer V6 OHV
Hey,

I have a 97 ohv v6 manual, the engine has done 194,000 km and runs well but lacks power lol, thought of supercharging or turbo but I see you guys get all the fun in the USA and got the v8 5.0l option,we only have the ohv manual and sohc v6 auto here in Australia, no fun lol

My question is would the M5OD-R1 fit behind the Windsor 5.0L block , I can't see any info on bell housing pattern etc , we have the Windsor here in our Ford Falcons from early 90's till 2002 upto 250kw options with gt40 heads , I was thinking of keeping the manual to keep the transfer / 4x4 etc, as there is no 2wd explorers in Australia , would love 5.0l auto rear wheel only but then need to change whole front end , find front hubs off 2wd etc and unless there's a kit over there I don't even know if you can convert a 4x4 to a 2x4 ...????

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Mike
Down under

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, there are two versions of the M5OD. The light duty is the M5R1 found in the Explorer/Ranger that has two different gear sets depending on the application. The 4cy/3.0 model got a slightly shorter 1-3 and can be swapped into the 4.0 case. The 4cyl/3.0 case the and the 4.0 case are different. This is something to look into. The M5R2 is found in the medium duty trucks. This is what you'd need for the V8.

Thanks for the info mate, I guess it would get messy with changing to the v8 with the m5r2 as the transfer is going to be different to what I have now behind the M5r1 ?? Manual shift ?? shafts etc , might be more trouble than its worth lol , especially trying to find the parts here in Australia :(

Ford need to sell the cool stuff here too lol

Cheers
Mike

We got the V8 here but not until the 3rd gen I think.

Have you considered a Territory?

I agree, it's one thing to be in the US where there are an abundance of older trucks to pull parts from but being in a remote area could get spendy. You might be better off doing some internal mods to the 4.0. There's a cam listed for sale on here. You'd probably come out ahead financially.

Back