M5OD parts

5spdman

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stryker, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XLT
I'm looking for some info on parts for a M5OD trans...here's just a little back story to my project...

So earlier this year I purchased a 95 Ranger. Thing is bare bones, long bed, 2.3L, manual trans, 2wd, power nothing (except steering), no AC, doesn't even have interior lights.

Wasn't really looking to get one, but my wife's grandfather (previous owner) really thought it was a nice little truck (it's proven to be just that) and wanted it to go to someone in the family, and for $300, I couldn't really refuse. I we ended up buying 'Ol Blue (name given to it by family) a week before he passed away.

I grew up with my dad driving a 80's something Ranger (just before he sold it and bought what became my first Explorer), and that was where I learned (by watching) how to drive stick. Now that I have a son of my own, I hope to hold onto this little pickup long enough to teach him to drive a manual trans.

Unfortunately, I noticed a couple months ago that the frame had rusted through under a divers side cab mount, which was really just keeping it from bending right in half. I lifted the frame near the break, welded some plate under the frame rails just to hold it together and get me through hunting season.

So now that we're past the sentimental portion of this, I'll get to my project. To fix the frame on this rusted out Ohio vehicle, I did what any same person would do; I travelled to northern Georgia and bought a parts Ranger with a 7' bed for a frame. Turns out, it's got more parts that I can use to bring OB to it's former glory other than just the frame, but also modify it just a little, keeping it as close to the truck my wife remembers.

The thing that sold me on this parts truck was that it was also a 7' bed, but also that it was 4wd. With winters and mud encountered during hunting, 4wd would be extremely helpful. Donor came with a t-case, and as I have super duty axles waiting to go under the Explorer, I have the rest of the parts needed to make this swap except for one thing; a manual 4wd trans.

I've rebuilt the M5OD from my Explorer (first rebuild, I did not position the scoop on input shaft correctly, staving the bearing between it and the output shaft of ATF and pretty much friction welding them together...lessons learned) and rebuilt one for a friends Ranger build. Now, because I discovered the fault in my first rebuild 3 hours from home at my in-laws, I bought another and swapped it in to get us home, so I have a 4.0 M5OD sitting around. It came in handy when I rebuilt my friends trans, and here (finally) is where I get the the question...

When rebuilding my friends trans, I found that the smaller of the nuts on the back of the shafts had actually backed off half an inch, eating itself into a little plastic cup at the end of the shaft. Grab the piece out of my spare trans, no problem.

To complete my swap on OB, I plan on swapping the output shaft in the trans and taking the tail housing from my extra trans to create a 2.3 bell-housed 4wd trans.

I've never had a 2wd M5OD trans apart (not ready to dive into the project yet) and can't find any info anywhere to answer my questions.

Does the 2wd trans also have that plastic piece at the end of the shaft or am I going to have to get one? What is that piece called? And if I were to rebuild the extra trans to have an extra trans/sell, where can I find that piece?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance...just trying to plan ahead and having an extremely tough time finding answers myself...

Back