M5OD-R1 HD swap 1994 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5OD-R1 HD swap 1994 ford explorer

Mulletmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Stanwood Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I recently swapped a m5od-r1 hd transmission into my 1994 ford explorer that was originally an automatic. I got a new clutch, flywheel slave and master cylinders. After I went to start it up it sounded like the starter was sticking, I then pulled my (auto) starter and installed a new manual starter. I just got everything back together and it still sounds like it's sticking, at first I thought it was from the ignition still applying power, so I jumped the starter soleniod, still stuck. I tried shimming and still stuck, has anyone has this problem or know a solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently swapped a m5od-r1 hd transmission into my 1994 ford explorer that was originally an automatic. I got a new clutch, flywheel slave and master cylinders. After I went to start it up it sounded like the starter was sticking, I then pulled my (auto) starter and installed a new manual starter. I just got everything back together and it still sounds like it's sticking, at first I thought it was from the ignition still applying power, so I jumped the starter soleniod, still stuck. I tried shimming and still stuck, has anyone has this problem or know a solution?
Is there a difference between the manual and auto transmissions? I have a 1991 explorer manual. But i want to go past the 85 mph limit. In other words is there a transmission that would fit that will give me that range of speed.

How old is the battery? Maybe it is getting weak. Can you turn the motor over with a wrench?

Is there a difference between the manual and auto transmissions? I have a 1991 explorer manual. But i want to go past the 85 mph limit. In other words is there a transmission that would fit that will give me that range of speed.
From personal experience, the automatic transmission will not hold up to excessive speed for long periods of time. Also if you post a new thread, someone is more likely to see it and help you out with your question.

How old is the battery? Maybe it is getting weak. Can you turn the motor over with a wrench?
The battery is fine, it turns over fine, it starts and it doesn't disengage when the engine is started

I swapped my transmission because it started to slip but with the auto I could go 100mph

@Mulletmaster
Check diameters of starter pinion gears. It may be that there is not enough clearance to allow starter drive to disengage. Which would mean, if that's the case, the starters for manual trans. are listed as different part number. imp

@Mulletmaster
Check diameters of starter pinion gears. It may be that there is not enough clearance to allow starter drive to disengage. Which would mean, if that's the case, the starters for manual trans. are listed as different part number. imp
Earlier today I got my hands on a starter for the correct year, make and model and it still hangs up, I think that I have it pinned as the starter relay, will test tomorrow

Back