M5OD-R1 Trouble after total rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5OD-R1 Trouble after total rebuild

W.C. Legere

Reaction score
City, State
Murphysboro, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Sport
Need advice if anyone knows what might be the issue!?! Just completely rebuilt my M5 5-speed manual transmission in my 96 2nd Gen Explorer Sport. The input shaft bearing disintegrated due to lack of oil to the bearing. Replaced input shaft, all bearings and seals but the sycros were in excellent shape so I reused the old ones. I checked over my reassembly several times and everything seemed to operate as it should. I was very careful to make sure I kept all parts in order when I took it apart. Once I re-installed the trans and got it all back together everything seemed to work correctly until I tried to shift in 5th gear. It will engage but will not stay in gear. It keeps popping out of gear and will not hold. It only happens in 5th gear. Was it something I missed? Is there an adjustment I missed before I installed the gearbox? Any help would be appreciated.

20201227_131319.jpg

20201227_131324.jpg

20201227_131327.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you installed the 5th gear something or other backwards
It can go in either way and when installed backwards will cause this
Let me see if I can get the technical terms as this is not my area of expertise, but I have recently seen this exact thing and the cause was some part for the 5th gear went it backwards

you installed the 5th gear something or other backwards
It can go in either way and when installed backwards will cause this
Let me see if I can get the technical terms as this is not my area of expertise, but I have recently seen this exact thing and the cause was some part for the 5th gear went it backwards
I kind of figured. This was my first time rebuilding a tranny. Question is. can I get to the 5th/Reverse gears without having to pull the entire trans out? I know they are behind the main assembly and in the tail shaft section.

I don't think so gotta pull the 5 speed

Back