M5R1 clutch reccommendation (93' Sport) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M5R1 clutch reccommendation (93' Sport)

CreepingNet

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 5spd 2wd
So after my patchwork mess of a clutch replacement 8 years ago and seeing slipping, esp when cold outside,...I'm getting started, probably a little early prepping to do the whole shindig myself. Much more favorable circumstances this time.

What I have learned this go around....

1). ALWAYS use Ford OEM slave (mines still going, no leaks, still shifts like a dream)

2.) Same thing for the metal bodied master I got a O'Reily's - it has the metal pedal rod, still feels smooth, also no leaks. Also saw the 94 Limited manual swap on YouTube - he bought the same part.

But the part hanging me up this time is clutch brand/type. Right now I still have the **** Chinese kit clutch and pressure plate Precision Tube installed, and given the odd slip when cold issue, I think the lining is contracting and the pressure plate is non-auto adjust. I'm looking to get auto adjust and something more robust.

So my Qs are.....

1.) I see a lot of gleaming Reccommendations for the Centerforce IIc kits. Is this still the case? How durable are those.

2) I've heard almost nothing about South Bend, whom makes "Stage 1" daily driver and heavy duty kits.

3). LUK - which the general consensus/experience is this is Ford OEM.

I'm doing a bit more aggressive driving and some medium light offroading so looking for something that stands up to that.

Also, Rear Main Seal - which is better, rubber or PTFE.

Back