How to: - m5r2 & np205 swap on 5.0 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: m5r2 & np205 swap on 5.0 explorer

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

96ex5.0

Reaction score
City, State
canyon tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 5.0 4x4 5spd
Ok so I figured I would do a write up on this since it isn't quite as bolt in and go as the 4406 setup. I will post pics and more info after work latter today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So here are pics of the mods I made there are a few other ways to do it but I felt this rought was my best choice. You have to clearance the adapter for the shift rails and then the bearing housing is to thick its about half an inch and needs to be a quarter of an inch soiI cut and ground it down to size then the bolts that hold the retainer on I counter sunk and ground them down to be flat with the retainer you have to make sire there is still enuff to fit an alen wrench in them to take them lose is needed.it only took a couple of hours to do all this now I just got to make it look pretty.
NCM_0017_zpsqnspf0wi.jpg
NCM_0016_zpsmedjrqxq.jpg
NCM_0018_zpsh5qsh3dp.jpg
NCM_0019_zps54wt8nn5.jpg
NCM_0020_zpsqzi6svic.jpg
NCM_0022_zps1q6uabwk.jpg
NCM_0023_zpsylhvv00s.jpg

Ok so I got the transmission in today and I will get some pics of it tomorrow, the drive line is out of an 89 f150 that I had shortened to 45" the slip joint is part of the drive line. I had to use a u-joint that uses 3" across for the transfer case side and 4" on the drive line side. Like I said ill post some pics tomorrow and give more info.

I need a wiring diagram in the trans range sensor.

NCM_0026_zpsjb84mnor.jpg
NCM_0027_zpsfklfvjfb.jpg
NCM_0028_zpslnkouwas.jpg
NCM_0029_zpss1ct0bbv.jpg
NCM_0030_zpswicem0ik.jpg

Ok so heres what I have so far 89 m5r2 (fits just fine, but if you have the full length console the shift lever needs to be bent 1" to the right and 1/2" down) 79 np205 must mod trans to bolt up, ranger master and lines 89 f150 drive line shortens explorer front drive shortens and slip joint with u-joint added to one end.

Ok so I need ideas here, I took it out for its first run today and after hooking the battery up I have no Speedo and it wont start. I have traced the wiring to the anti theft relay but font know witch relay it is in the box. I can turn the key on and Jump the solenoid and it will starting run.

Edit:

Ok starting problem fixed, seems the aftermarket alarm the last owener installed had a wire come loos. Now just got to figure out why no Speedo.

Ok so an older m5r2 will work with just some minor bending.
NCM_0031_zpsivhfassa.jpg
NCM_0033_zpsxd0gn6np.jpg
NCM_0034_zpsjfeos9we.jpg
NCM_0035_zpscd08gtwe.jpg

Looks closer in pic than it is.

So its a blast to drive but my clutch isn't working quite like it should and I still have no Speedo. Any ideas would be great.

Eddit:

Ok i installed a 90's ranger master and that fixed my clutch and I fixed my Speedo it had a bad ground. The 4.10 gears are perfect for this setup.

What should I do next?

I forgot to add photos of the t-ca
NCM_0059_zpswsmpmuhz.jpg
NCM_0058_zpsrzymqtrw.jpg

Thanks for posting this as I have been looking at swapping in an older M5OD and was wondering where the shifter would wind up landing. Couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

- What Flywheel/Clutch/Starter are you using?
- Any issues with Front Drive Shaft clearances around the transmission cross member?
- Would it be possible to get a side shot photo that show how low the 205 hangs below the frame rails (or does it at all?)?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this as I have been looking at swapping in an older M5OD and was wondering where the shifter would wind up landing. Couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

- What Flywheel/Clutch/Starter are you using?
- Any issues with Front Drive Shaft clearances around the transmission cross member?
- Would it be possible to get a side shot photo that show how low the 205 hangs below the frame rails (or does it at all?)?

Thanks!

Sorry ive bin busy moving and all. I used all the parts for an 89-90 f150 and a master cylinder from a 90 ranger it has a larger capacity the starter I cant honestly remember its still the same style as the original explorer but for a manual trans. There is no clearance problems at all and the np 205 hangs below from rails but not below the trans x member ill get a pic right quick.
NCM_0069_zpsn1qjs9oi.jpg

IMAG0255_zps16gh1a3a.jpg
IMAG0254_zpstpkp7doa.jpg
IMAG0253_zpsf9xlijcf.jpg
Thanks, yes it has held up great. I have pics of other trucks I built lol took them from my explorer while wheeling with them.

I never did post pics of my finished intereor.

Everything I did should work for an auto trans as well, but may or may not have to clearance bearing retainer.

So here it is over a year later since my last post and everything still works great. I used a front drive shaft from a 92 explorer and just removed the CV joint setup on it. I'll get some pics of under the explorer in a bit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back