• Register Today It's free!

M90 on a 4.0?

rustbucketMI

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
So i pulled a fully working M90 supercharger off of a T-Bird a while ago. My buddy was going to use it for his Jeep but decided it was way to big for his little 4 banger.

As i said this came off a T-Bird, with a 3.8L. Anyone know how closely the heads from the 3.8 match to the 4.0? Has anyone tried to put a M90 on a 4.0?

I love the super charger whine, and i figure why not get a little more power out of my engine. Any and all help would be appreciated, opinions will be taken.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^
the M90 rustbucket has is off the Tbird, which is quite different the the M62 in the link.

truefully, your best bet is to sell off the tbird M90 on ebay, and locate a GM M90 off a 3.8. then you could go the route they went in the link. since the GM version of the M90 is more of a typical roots blower, where as the m90 on the tbird is kinda centrifical in how it works.

the GM m90 and m62 along with pretty much every other roots blower usually just bolts to your lower intake plenum (manifold) and force's the air directly there. the M90 you have off the tbird on the other hand is actually seperate from the intake manifold, and actually just sits on top of the motor, but not attatched to the intake mani like normal. it is its own boxed in design, that just has an outlet much like a turbo that carries the forced air through a intercooler, then to a throttle body.

probably not much info you care about, but im ripped, and figured id share. lol.

3.8L is completely different then a 4.0L

4.0L = 60 degree V6
3.8L = 5.0L with 2 cyl chopped off = 90 degree V6

BUT you are not the first to want to supercharge a OHV 4.0L, BBK used to sell a bolt on kit......there are plenty of setups out there, so try searching around and take pics if you do it!

Supposedly there will again be a kit... I emailed Ronald Castor (Castor & Morse Novelties) the other day when I was researching this myself, and he says he plans on offering a OHV supercharger kit, like the SOHC one he already has:

"I plan to develop a kit for the ohv 4.0, but it's about a year away. Do not currently have the time. I'll add your name to the list to notify when one is developed and tested."

I wish he'd hurry it along. For $1600, I'd buy it in a second, as I just do not have all the skills necessary to build my own manifolds, etc. at this point. Also looked into the Thomas Knight Supercahrger kit (again) to see if the price came down yet. 4K is an insane amount for a supercharger kit, even including the supercharger!

I think (and I could be completely wrong here) that anyone that builds a decently priced supercharger kit for the OHV stands to make a decent amount of cash if they do it right.

last year of the OHV was 01, thats going on 8 years ago... little late to be making a kit now!! But hey thats just me!! I vote go turbo and dont look back :)
Turbos have come a long way in the last few years, turbo lag is a thing of the past!

last year of the OHV was 01, thats going on 8 years ago... little late to be making a kit now!! But hey thats just me!! I vote go turbo and dont look back :)
Turbos have come a long way in the last few years, turbo lag is a thing of the past! the best part is its FREE

A little late, yes. However, there are so many Rangers/Explorers on the road with the OHV still that it's probably worth it. :D Would probably make a 4.0L swap more fun for BII owners as well... ;)

Like monoxide says. The tbird m90 is bass ackwards.

The air goes throught the throttlebody, into the back of the SC, then out the TOP of the SC, then through an Intercooler by the radiator, THEN goes backatound intothe intake manifold.

You CAN use it. If you are planning to locate the SC somewere else in the engine bay. Instead of on top if the engine.

But is much easier to use the GM version. You can build an adapter plate that will bolt strait to your lower manifold out of some steel or alluminum.

Or you could go nuts and get an m112! :biggthump

if your going to get into fabrication a turbo would be a nice way too go. Turbo lag all depends on turbo size, motor setup, gearing, and tuning. The tiny turbo i have on my truck builds boost faster than most M90s wish. Im planning on possibly building a hotside only kit for the 4.0 ohv. Like i said maybe. If i do it will be setup to use the same t3 turbocharger I'm using and be pretty simple using the oem flipped iron manifolds.

So if you do add a little turbo... on a first gen 4.0 how do you compensate for the added boost? New chip? Just wondering. This thread is putting all kinds of evil ideas in my head.

well theres many differen t ways to go. Not too many people support the early EEC IV but someone may be able to flash the ecu? You can also convert to a EEC V harness from a latter ohv setup then go with SCT xcal 2 PRP, Sniper tuning, or Tweecer RT to tune it. Or convert to megasquirt. the less wanted ways are a FMU and use the wideband to tuen the AFRs. I keep the boost turned down to 5 psi. I have no 02 feedback, drawing thru the stock maf, 21lb injectors and that is all. The 21lbers did make a change before that it wouldnt spin the tires and haul like it does now. next item for this truck will be a wideband 02 so i can start monitoring the AFRs and make changes to the setup. Then eventually Megasquirt 2 ecu

I know the M90 is all screwed up, i was hoping to be able to pull an intake off the T-bird as well, guess not. Looks like i'll have to do some fabrication.

For those of you who have boosted their 4.0 did you put different injectors on, and if so which ones?

Back