M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

k, i gotta know how much time there is on doing that (i cant remember if i asked that or not), and what did you use.
on the exhaust part, i would put at min a H pipe on it, or even a X pipe

The first one took about 4hours, the second was about half that after I got the hang of it.did it in three different grits/stages..I used non-woven 2" round bits.like a abrasive thick dense sponge. Worked really well, would alow you to do a nice even round sand.I have flap bits and cone bits also for the ports.

The ohv v6 is a balanced exhaust motor unlike the v8s.thats what basically hpipe or x is used for.so putting one on it doesn't really help a v6, or atleast what i read.im doing cut outs also

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

May i ask why you polished the combustion chambers? I left my entire intake side with the sanding drum finish. Fuel may "bead" on any polished surface.

May i ask why you polished the combustion chambers? I left my entire intake side with the sanding drum finish. Fuel will "bead" on any polished surface.

To prevent detention (hot spots) and carbon build up.remember im running 16 lbs at 8.8:1 compression and NOS..ive been told that the cc and exhaust can be mirror finished.doesnt have time to ""bead"" on the cc. They only place you dont want to is from the injector hole down on the intake side.some will even argue that, some say with the modern fuel injection that it doesnt really matter and its more of a carb issue. My lower intake, sc mount, sc, sc manifold and tb are all mirror/ported

well actually I found this countering my last post. I wish they would reveal results of mentioned tests. Im curious as to how much heat polishing keeps out of combustion surfaces. Your polishing looks very nice though even in pictures.

http://www.beckracing.com/page07.htm

well actually I found this countering my last post. I wish they would reveal results of mentioned tests. Im curious as to how much heat polishing keeps out of combustion surfaces. Your polishing looks very nice though even in pictures.

http://www.beckracing.com/page07.htm

Good info.did see this quote tho;)

""Tests have shown that polishing the combustion chamber, valves and piston top can increase horsepower and fuel economy by 6%.""

haha I know, you would quote that one! Thanks for making it public lol. I'd like to see those "Tests". Either way, your sh*t is gonna fly.

I watch velocity channel it's one of my favorites. Let us know if you're gonna be on tv. If you work for fantom see if you can sneak your rides in.

Sucks about government contract job.. good luck with your next job adventure.

Heads look killer btw.

haha I know, you would quote that one! Thanks for making it public lol. I'd like to see those "Tests". Either way, your sh*t is gonna fly.

Lol:) hey 6% here and 6% there on a 400 hp motor adds up and or helps get me to the 400 mark;) yea some people are gonna be upset around here, nobody like losing to a V6!! Lol

I watch velocity channel it's one of my favorites. Let us know if you're gonna be on tv. If you work for fantom see if you can sneak your rides in.

Sucks about government contract job.. good luck with your next job adventure.

Heads look killer btw.

Yea I love that channel. If I do get a job there you know my body work and paint will be done there.so maybe ill be in a clip or two..lol

And thanks;) wait till you see the exhaust work and new valves:D

With no bumps in the combustion chamber, your not going to get hot pin spots that might cause pre ignition of the mixture. Polish the exhaust so that carbon can't stick on the way out.
Those heads look like a thing of beauti!

Do you know anyone that can flow test them when their done? I'd love to get an idea of the numbers once the larger valves are dropped in.

With no bumps in the combustion chamber, your not going to get hot pin spots that might cause pre ignition of the mixture. Polish the exhaust so that carbon can't stick on the way out.
Those heads look like a thing of beauti!

Do you know anyone that can flow test them when their done? I'd love to get an idea of the numbers once the larger valves are dropped in.

Yea going to have the shop make sure all the CC are the same and flow test them after he finalizes them.the heads are probably going to be key to making the power I want;)

Going to be a lot of head envy around here.

Us v8 guys have the option of off the shelf aluminum heads. All it takes is money. My rear mains starting to leak pretty bad, lands on a cat. Good news, no drips.....bad news, oil burning smell. If it ever actually starts to warm up here I'll get started on the turbo(headers first).

So got one of the heads all the way done ported and polished. .you dont even wanna know how long it took me:( if your notice in the pictures the stock ports was pretty bad.it had chunks of cast and also had a hump in each port.the hump was for the valve cover bolts, only two actually are drilled/tapped for bolts.the third there isnt a bolt.I totally removed the hump and put studs M8 with red high temp locktight. They went in very tight as the threads didnt go all the way through, just drilled.then took and grounded them flush and polished them.you can see it in one picture. .also did the same for the three bolts holes ontop of the exhaust. I used two M10-3/4 and one M10-1.5-40 stud.the back bolt on one side holes the coil bracket and the front one on the other side holds my dip stick and a tb bracket.

I also straightened the ports out some, re-ramped it and did little pocket work..I wasn't going to touch the ramp or pocket and let the machinist mess with it when he does the larger valves but figured it couldn't hurt, sure he's going to do little more also but hey its a start for him.

20140403_140500_zpsaxlcz1l8.jpg

20140403_135621_zps4srj61xe.jpg

Studs for the two holes that came through

20140403_135352_zpsii17cdxg.jpg

Stud for coil bracket one side and tb other.other two holes aren't used...

20140407_144220_zpsd35vvxnx.jpg

20140403_140100_zpsvjss45fg.jpg

Gives you an idea of how much needs to be removed just to gasket match them to the headers

20140403_161044_zpsorenmvhv.jpg

Yup, it looks like you have some time in to the heads, that's for sure.
It is for sure going to save some labour at the machine shop if your getting some porting and polishing done.

I really want to see the finished product with the larger valves.

Yup, it looks like you have some time in to the heads, that's for sure.
It is for sure going to save some labour at the machine shop if your getting some porting and polishing done.

I really want to see the finished product with the larger valves.

He really shouldn't have to touch anything but the pockets. Saved me a ton of money;)I do have alot of time into them but im no port polish pro by any means:(

I was really hoping to order the valves this week but TOTALLY forgot its like 5 peoples birthdays in my family this week.also who knows if ill have a job next week, shouldnt even been working this week..I need to tow my truck down here so atleast I can get everything ready and motor trans pulled.

The job thing really blows.

I do like the heads though, and how you took out that dimple for the valve cover bolts. I wish i'd have done that. I'm betting there is a huge gain in flow right there.

The job thing really blows.

I do like the heads though, and how you took out that dimple for the valve cover bolts. I wish i'd have done that. I'm betting there is a huge gain in flow right there.

Im sure or hoping it is.in person if you compare the two its a drastic difference. They are much larger and much straighter. .the funny part is if you look at the intake on these heads they look really good.straight, big and probably the perfect texture.the metal is REALLY thin on the intake side and its a pretty much exact gasket match.im not even going to touch them.let him do the pockets when does the larger valve and thats it..

I updated the post with pictures^^^^^ with a new picture. I ended up doing a little more polishing and the three bolt holes at the edge of the exhaust ports started showing through. Just a slight pin hole.so I took and put a tad of jb weld in the bolt holes from the top.then put bolts or a stud in them where it pressed the jb weld tight and squeezed some out the pin hole.red high temp locktight, sanded and polished them.;)

Well got one of the smaller ""big"" order that we have been waiting on, so I'll have work for atleast the next three months.hopefully the BIG order comes in wile im working on this one..so valves are on order!!!;)went with 1.8 IN and 1.5 EX thats .100 bigger on intake and .150 on exhaust.HOPEFULLY they fit.....the .150 is making me nervous

Check these guys out.they are one of our distributors, their busses are pretty cool:)
http://www.firstlinetech.com/

Back