M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

build a custom motor they said. it will be easy they said!
who was the dumb ass that egged you on in the first place to get all this done now? he deserves a shot to the nuts...

Yeaaa good question. .all i wanted was heads and boost again. ..but noooo they said go for the gold...she'll never know they said. ..one kidney gone...hope she dont notice! !! Haha

Well got some more work done..installed the C-notches..went pretty easy,trashed 2 harbor freight step bits..added the stock rubber bump stops to the new notches..i never plan to hit though. I did have my truck 2" lower but the sway bar mounts would hit the frame when i hit hard bumps..they should clear now leaving the axle PLENTY of room...

I also need new body mount bolts,thought stocks would have enough for my 1" blocks but they dont..

20151125_163429_zpsgvezbtwv.jpg

20151125_170242_zpspavzz1zs.jpg

low

Cant wait to see the new stance! Nice work!

Cant wait to see the new stance! Nice work!

Thanks.After the 1"pucks and only dropping 2",it should look basically the same..im gonna wait to drop it till i get the mufflers figured out..thinking on going to a smaller Magnaflow muffler

It all looks so clean and professionally done.
Very nice.

Big undertaking. Everything your doing must really screw with pinion angle, and all kinds of other geometry that I really don't even know enough about to ask any questions (I don't even know what I don't know).

It all looks so clean and professionally done.
Very nice.

Big undertaking. Everything your doing must really screw with pinion angle, and all kinds of other geometry that I really don't even know enough about to ask any questions (I don't even know what I don't know).

Thanks man
Got a whole pack of shims..haha i reset it or check it each time..i set the rear like 2* less than trans.it honestly doesnt move around much with the track bars and sway bar.i initially setup and squared everything when i had 6-7" of drop,im little over 5" now but will be back to that number when i drop it 2".i had to raise it because of the sway bar mounts hitting the frame

Got the rear all done..only issue is that the sway bar mounts will now hit the notches,where it was hitting frame before..dont think there is a easy solution for this other than going to a different bar and mounts..i did go ahead and lower it by 1.5" by means of my adjustable shackles, we shall see if it hits at that level. .i did use to hit so thinking it may have to go back up..right now its sitting at the same height as it did before the pucks and the additional drop..

Now to get the front done but have some issues with that also..2 of the exhaust hangers per side is welded to the body..going to have to cut them off and weld new ones.sure there will be other issues. .
20151202_144351_zps2jsh1iv7.jpg

Ranger

Man those side pipes look awesome lurking there in front of the rear tires!

clutch

That looks like one mean clutch!
Your set up is coming along, When do you think it will be all put together?

I'm waiting for pics of the heads.
These are heads that are extremely custom and pictures of custom Cologne engine heads don't hit the internet very often.

Have you spoke with Tom Morana about his 1.8 rockers?
http://www.moranav6racing.com/i.php?f=/img/Products/pictures/IMG_2243.JPG&d=
I'm just wondering if he would make you a deal to have a set of his rockers in use for a testimonial. I remember you were thinking about it.

That looks like one mean clutch!
Your set up is coming along, When do you think it will be all put together?

All depends on the guy doing the rods and balancing. .when i dropped the rods off he said 3 weeks,its been that but being he ran into issues with using the xr6 rod bearings, im sure its not motivating him to get them done..the builds he does can run up over 15-20k easily so..plus once the rods are done i need to pick them up with the crank and takebit back to my guy to have the crank turned to the xr6 rod bearings..then the crank needs to go back to him to balance, this also mean he might start on another big dollar build and i gota wait AGAIN. .then final assembly can be done..

I'm waiting for pics of the heads.
These are heads that are extremely custom and pictures of custom Cologne engine heads don't hit the internet very often.

Have you spoke with Tom Morana about his 1.8 rockers?
http://www.moranav6racing.com/i.php?f=/img/Products/pictures/IMG_2243.JPG&d=
I'm just wondering if he would make you a deal to have a set of his rockers in use for a testimonial. I remember you were thinking about it.

I posted some pictures awile ago but having the valves fitting in the heads does look alot different, hes also milled the valve pedestal down and worked the pockets. .he said the valve openings were very very small even compared to the stock valve size,said the exhaust was so bottleneck that he couldnt even understand it..he said you want the opening close to 80% of valve size i believe, dont quote me but think he said the intake was around 83% and exhaust is now closer to 85%.hes had to install custom heat treated seats also.he looked at me and said ""these things should flow 100x better,night and day difference""

I haven't talked to Tom in awile but last time i did he wasnt willing to do anything on pricing, said ""couple people are running them and working great""..id love to run rollers as im having to run harden caps on my valves,i wouldn't have to with rollers..but i think the stock 1.5 will be fine,plus i dont know what 1.8 would do as far as my build setup and them not being tested long term has me skeptical..i know ill have to pull my charger and covers to re-torque my heads after some miles/time,maybe down the road ill have funds and nore time for them to be tested. .

Whenever i drop the rods/crank off at my guys shop ill try and get some pictures of the heads before he mounts them,also grab the flow sheet for the heads:D

Mannn talk about lucky..still cant believe i found this on Craigslist in Idaho and he shipped it all for $200....this clutch is gotta be brand new,you can tell its been mounted but if he did use it he just backed outa the garage and took it back out...thing looks great and saved me over $350!!!!

That $350 is being put into the trans..it needs a old school gear driven speedo tailshaft housing and the tailshaft itself. .ASTRO still hasnt produced a hardened 10 tooth input shaft that fits this model T5,they also said when they do it most likely will be a 27 tooth,i would have to switch the disc out in my clutch. .since i need a new tailshaft anyways im going to call them back and see if they would sell me the A-5 kit without a input shaft till they produce one.it definitely would be a weak link but the gears would help drastically. ..

Cant wait to get the flywheel,ill post some comparison pictures. .also i know going to a lightweight flywheel some will say it will hurt my launch and low end but being supercharged,plus 4.0 is a beast down low.i dont think ill have a issue and honestly id like to give up a little down low to help gain traction. .lol
20151210_131127_zpsq5b1vuwq.jpg

20151210_131008_zpsnoul7am5.jpg

20151210_130936_zpsevlwtfre.jpg

20151210_130953_zpshcxmr8c5.jpg

Clutching

Man that flexplate looks bad ass!
What's up with that clutch disc(two different sides)? How does that dual friction work?

Man that flexplate looks bad ass!
What's up with that clutch disc(two different sides)? How does that dual friction work?

It uses a puck design on the flywheel side to increase grip but uses a full face on the trans side for easy engagement. .also has counterweights to increase clamp capacity at higher rpms..said to hold 90% over stock,think in the neighborhood of over 500 ftlbs..they get very good reviews

Side note...these cab body mounts are about to be the death of me!! I like that driveshaft hoop you put in and thinking if it can mount to top of my frame and clear the bottom of the cab i might install one,i could also use the bar to bolt my exhaust hangers from..that would leave my cab free from any hangers

Well spoke to ASTRO again today..they do not plan on making a 9.5 input shaft that the 06 T5 uses.this mean i cant get the A-5 gear kit or change my first gear from 3.75 to the closer better ratio of 2.95..this is the biggest issues with the 06 trans,first gear is about useless and you break 2nd shifting because the ratios are so far apart...

They do make a 9.25" or 10" input that will work with the A-5/2.95 gear set though. .he said i ""could"" take and mil .25 off the bellhousing where it mates to the motor and use the 9.25 shaft or make a .5" spacer and put it between the bellhouse and main case,then use the 10" input..both would require a new 26 tooth clutch disc..not happy about this!!!

So for now ill be switching out the output shaft and tailhouse and leaving the gear alone till i break them...tailshaft,tailshaft housing and shifter are all on order..i went with the MGW shifter..
https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/73

Handle

Nice shifter! Did you order a handle too?

Nice shifter! Did you order a handle too?

Yea.went with just a race version. .my shifter location will be much farther back than where it sits normally in rangers,going to be right at the edge of my seats (10.5" farther back than stock) i could've went with a s10 tailshaft to have the shifter more like stock but i think ill like it farther back..it will be easier to reach,especially with the race handle..also got their black with silver cobra shifter ball..

Im going to try and baby this trans till tuning is all done,dont think 2nd gear is gonna last long power shifting.then going to have to figure out how to get new gears or change over to the TR3650 or TR6060..they make an adapter plate for the 4.0 to match them

Well after a little more research ive found a couple things out on this tranny..i can run ASTRO 94-95 A-5 kit..the 94+ input shaft is 10",mine is 9.5"...there is 2 things that need to be done,first is obviously a 1/2" needs to be cut from the end of the pilot shaft.next is it needs to be turned down slightly to fit the 05+ pilot bearing. .everything else will work..couple guys over on the V6 mustang forum have done this..they found it cheaper,stronger and lighter to get the A-5 kit and keep the T5, when compared to get a spacer plate and Tr3650 or Tr6060..

For now i cant afford the A-5 kit so like i said ill baby this trans till tuning is done and save up for the A-5..

PS..im on the search for some new injectors in the 48 range..if they make them

EDIT...just picked up some 50lbs from ebay..

A-5 kit for those not familiar..claims ""strongest T5 kit on the planet"" and ive never seen one broke yet..
https://www.astroperformance.com/product/a-5-gear-kit-1994-95-mustang-5-0l/

Back