M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not a stand alone unit, it is a chip that allows tuning and datalogging.
Plugs into a J something connector on the back of the PCM.
SCT did have a datalogging device, I will see what I can find on that.
Edit: I was thinking of the Raptor but it was for OBD2.

Hmm i assume it holds the datalogs in its memory or something. I was thinking ot was a stand alone type..i wonder why sct doesnt have this for their Eliminator chip(thats what i have).my guy likes to go on the safe side being obd1,no datalogging and no knock senor

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

datalogs

The datalogs would have to be done with a laptop and using some software.
The 1/4 horse just has a usb port on it that makes datalogging possible, it works like a chip for tuning purposes, and I think it has a connector for a switch just like the SCT chip.

You have a guy for tuning so it is best to use what he wants to tune of off, but it is nice to know that there are other options. You could always ask your guy what he thinks about the Moates 1/4 horse.

The datalogs would have to be done with a laptop and using some software.
The 1/4 horse just has a usb port on it that makes datalogging possible, it works like a chip for tuning purposes, and I think it has a connector for a switch just like the SCT chip.

You have a guy for tuning so it is best to use what he wants to tune of off, but it is nice to know that there are other options. You could always ask your guy what he thinks about the Moates 1/4 horse.

The system im looking for or my shop is looking for is called the snEEC..it datalogs without affecting anything else.it plugs inbetween the main harness and ecu..there was a member named ""rocket"" something that had one but wouldnt sell or lone it out..they are very hard to find and run over $500+

I have looked into the 1/4 horse but its a self tune system and doubt my guy supports it and im not a technical kind of guy so self tuning is definitely out.maybe with help from others like you could adjust tunes but noway could i tune it myself
http://www.racesystems.com/sneeciv/sneec.htm

Sneec

That Sneec thing is really cool, shame it is not readily available.

That Sneec thing is really cool, shame it is not readily available.

Yea i got a email back confirming they dont make them anymore..i literally just missed one on ebay,sold for $350..

Im gonna contact my tuner and see if he can dyno tune with 1/4 horse.i ""may"" consider swapping and selling my sct chip,just wondering if being able to datalog would be worth the swap

Talked to my local builder today..he said the heads are done and the guy who has the flow bench is on vacation and hes just waiting for him to get back.said he hasnt touched the block or made the copper gaskets yet because hes waiting on the pistons and other parts.he cant make the gaskets till the block has been bored and decked..

Also mentioned to him that the guy with my rods wanted him to turn the crank before he balanced it..he said turning the crank wouldnt remove enough material to matter and that hes being to **** about it.i think im with the guy with the rods on this one,i want that crank perfectly balanced. I wanna be able to turn 7k+ safely and not worry about it beating itself up.im still building this as more of a autocross racer than drag but also wanna be able to flip the NOS switch and be able to run a fast straight pass..so this thing needs to be able to turn some high rpms for extended time but same time need to be strong enough to handle a good shot of nitrous

Just sitting around on my thumb! !! Called guy with rods again today and he said hes making a fixture and should start on them next week..ABOUT TIME!!!

Also called my local guy with the heads..he said he dropped them off Monday to be flow tested but hasnt heard back yet. Told him i HOPEFULLY will be bringing the rods and crank by next week for him to turn and would get the flow test then..

""SHOULDN'T "" be much longer now,my local guy is ready and been waiting to wrap this up and so have I..guess now would be a good time to start counting my pennies and begging for change. .

'Making a fixture' sounds like its going to be costly.
Take it like a lamb.
.............................Sorry. Couldn't help it. I feel your financial pain.

Attachments

• funny_road_signs_17.jpg
    funny_road_signs_17.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 200

'Making a fixture' sounds like its going to be costly.
Take it like a lamb.
.............................Sorry. Couldn't help it. I feel your financial pain.

Ooo yea for sure..i forgot to mention the ""special "" bit he had to order...guess whos paying for that:banghead::banghead::censored::censored:

Just hope i can walk straight after this!!! Im sure ill completely forget about the cost after that first drive though and who can put a price on happiness :D

I hope the ""special"" bit came with some lube. :D

Your in it now, so you have to keep going till its done. All of us know the feeling well.

Your motor is going to be one of probably about 10 extreme performance cologne motors in the world. Now that will be something to talk about.

Sent a email to my tuner today regarding going to E85.he responded back that the fuel system would need to be upgraded, (IE the pump,lines and injectors).i wrote back saying that im running a 320gph pump,-6an lines,adjustable fuel pressure regulator and now 50 Lbs injectors. .

Waiting to hear back from him,if he thinks the injectors are big enough or wants larger but everything else is good,im going to switch over to a E85 tune.. then when i talk to my local builder about the copper gaskets,im going to have them made thinner to increase my compression some..ill probably take it to 11:1 if he can make gaskets thin enough,i doubt it but know i can get to little over 10:1

The E85 will support the higher compression and increase of boost just fine.E85 and the "vampire knock detection" unit will also let me run a bunch of timing. .combine the higher compression, higher boost and lots of timing and we are talking BIG gains..

16 Lbs,11:1 and full timing:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Well came across some Bosch 72s ev14 injectors.paid $290 for 6 injectors and 6 ev14(UScar) to standard bosch ev1 connectors..then got 6 12.5mm top hat extenders..

Definitely going to E85 and going to make the copper gaskets as thin as possible, shooting for 11:1 hopefully with E85 and "vampire knock" system i can pull alot more power outa this motor safely. .

I hear these are same injectors as the Injector dynamics.hopefully i can return my Ev1 50 Lbs
_3_zps9vb0dqqc.jpg

_3%201_zpsw6ovx3zy.jpg

_3%202_zpseleof76v.jpg

T2eC16VHJFoE9nh6oV4wBRsRd2OoQ--60_1_zpsad4an0zh.jpg

[MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION] these should be easy to tune

Top Hats

Where did you get those top hats?

Talked to my local builder again and went over some specs for the crank.he said if the numbers are right that the crank only needs to be turned .0018 and thats not enough to throw the crank off balance. Said stock tolerance is like 2oz per square inch and if the guy does a perfect balance that .0018 would equal like .01oz off balance. .

So i called the guy with the rods and told him that and he absolutely agreed. .he said he would double check the bearing and crank journal and if to much material needs to be removed to the point of outa tolerance,he would not balance it and call me..said it should be done next week but ive heard that before!!!

Also spoke to my tuner,he wants me to run 5 gallons of 93 gas through the system about after every 20 gallons or so of E85..said it will clean the black crude off the filter,injectors and valves..also it lubricants the system..its been pointed out that this may be a little ridiculous and overkill but i have way to much money in this motor not to take some preventive maintenance, anything breaks and i gota buy sets,not like i can run to autozone and just pick up a single part..he is writing me a E85 street tune,E70 street tune,93 Gasoline safe tune and a E85r race tune with Nitrous. .

Good reads..
http://forums.stlmustangs.com/index...-black-crudgoo-clogging-filters-lots-of-pics/

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...uilding-tips-to-reduce-nvh-and-increase-life/
http://www.cwtindustries.com/whybalance.htm

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2008/04/RotatingAssembly/

O forgot to mention also,i wont be using the UScar to Jetronic adapters. .im going to get a set of UScar connectors from the junk yard and solder them into my harness. .my old jetronic (Ev1)connectors are brittle and missing some of the clips.also i dont know if i have clearance under my supercharger plate to clear adapters. .

Ps..my EV1 4 hole 50Lbs and 36Lbs old fat bodies are for sale..spread the word. .

PSS..i find out the sex of my baby at hopefully 12:00 today!!!:bounce::biggthump:party::party::dpchug:

That is great news and great news!
Glad to hear the engine is coming along.
That's interesting about the black stuff in the filter etc.
Let us know if you are having a boy or girl, or twins. hahaha

Bad new...just noticed these have scribed on the side a "60"....so went down to my speed shop and had them flow test one..sure as **** it came back to 60lbs at 43lbs..no where near the 72lbs as advertised. .ive contacted the seller asking for a return....worse case im going to sell them..also going to send the top hats back..
20160123_124847_zpsr4agcccy.jpg

Im going to get a set of 78lbs from DW in the correct length so no top hats are needed..also just found out one of the two E85 station has closed..but in hind sight,just found out the gas station next to my work carries 100 and 110..

Million dollar question is..is pump E85 that can be questionable, that much better than a guaranteed 110 octane? ?if not should i just keep these 60lbs and get tuned for 110 octane instead??then i dont have to worry about the effects of E85 or finding it..or draining it to run 93 if i cant find it????

Long (60mm EV14) : 78lb (800cc) Fuel Injectors | DeatschWerks

injectors

Looking at the part numbers for a lot of injectors, I have found that many injector sellers are taking stock injectors and modifying them to be larger sizes that are not available in stock injectors.
Looks like the ones you got were modified but to the wrong size. They probably just sent the wrong ones by mistake.

E85 has some nice advantages, but may not be worth it if you have to worry about where to get it and that black stuff clogging things up.

I got them from a private seller..im sticking with E85..i stopped by that gas station that sells 100 and 110 race gas..110 is leaded and vehicle has to be on trailer or filled by can.110 runs $7.85 per gallon..100 isnt worth it to me..E85 was $1.85 last week but regular gas has dropped to $1.58 so assume E85 has dropped also..i cant run leaded gas with O2 or cats...so 110 is outa question

http://www.racegas.com/article/38

The seller has agreed to return my money for the injectors,didnt even argue. .i have a feeling he seen the ""60"" on the side and didnt know...they are still good injectors and flowed nice but just to small..ive ordered the DW 78Lbs full size injectors,so no top hats are needed...

Now what really torques my wrenches. .where i took the injectors was a full blow race machine shop,huge ass building. .they didnt charge me for testing the injectors and showed me around. .

THE KICKER...they CAN balance a V6 crank and also said machining the width on my rods would be easy to do....WTF:mad: i drove 4 hours and have waited almost 3 moths for what im sure is going to be a raping and could have them done locally. .not only locally but they said they are not even busy and could have them done in a day!!!!RRRRRRTRAAAAAAAA

Sooo im giving the guy that has my parts till next Thursday to get them done and gonna go pick them up if he hasnt started on them..im tired of waiting! !

Back