M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great! Amazing mods.

Were all going to start chanting 'motor' 'motor' 'motor' soon.

Any thought on your hood?

Ooo I hear you.believe me, wish I could just throw it in and worry about everything else later.but I just can't, that motor in this truck is going to be dangerous and some of these mods have to be done first,""some""

I do have a hood picked out but really need to wait. I plan on dropping the motor and tranny as low as possible to help with sc clearance and driveshaft clearance. Still will probably end up with the same hood tho.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370638439492?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Got a new contract finally at work so cash flow will be picking up but so will hours:(I also will be outa town for awile.but really only 3 more projects till the motor.....
B2 gas tank swap-cheap and easy
Rear end swap-kind of cheap and easy
Clutch/flywheel and tranny rebuild
Then I'm going to send the motors parts off which has a lead time of four weeks.so while they are gone I'm doing the interior and cage:Dprobably be two months before I get the whole thing built and on the dyno

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I was REALLY REALLY easy.fit perfectly, I pulled the front door panels and the lock off the rear window. I think it being thicker stuff really made it easier also, I've done tint before but must say having it pre-cut and thicker was very nice.I asked for 35% but I SWEAR this is 20%.I love they way it looks and prefer 20% but its the law that I'm worried about.they LOVE LOVE to pull people for ""tint"":mad:

I would suggest using them;)

I was kinda wondering on the shade you got. I had a car registered in VA once and I looked up the tint laws and was shocked how much bs there is about it.

It looks good though.:thumbsup: I told my wife about your precut stuff and she is kind of worried about my ability to put it on her truck. I noticed of all the precut avail on ebay the more expensive the thicker. I looked up all 3 vehicles I have and the price was the same. I would like the windshield strip though, that cuts down on so much glare.

Looking at your tint pic again that is 35%. I can see through it, 20% is a little harder to see through.

My mom runs 35% tint on her car because that is the "law" here in Oklahoma, but they can't pull you over for tint here.
There has to be another infraction then if the cop wants to be an @$$ about it he can gig you on tint.

I was kinda wondering on the shade you got. I had a car registered in VA once and I looked up the tint laws and was shocked how much bs there is about it.

It looks good though.:thumbsup: I told my wife about your precut stuff and she is kind of worried about my ability to put it on her truck. I noticed of all the precut avail on ebay the more expensive the thicker. I looked up all 3 vehicles I have and the price was the same. I would like the windshield strip though, that cuts down on so much glare.

Looking at your tint pic again that is 35%. I can see through it, 20% is a little harder to see through.

My mom runs 35% tint on her car because that is the "law" here in Oklahoma, but they can't pull you over for tint here.
There has to be another infraction then if the cop wants to be an @$$ about it he can gig you on tint.

Idk I normally run 35% on all my vehicles and this is darker.it also hasn't cured yet.my 35% I can see outa at night with no problems, this tint is hard to see outa.

Law is 50% front and 35% for non-passenger windows.that's why I "normally" do 35 and they can pull you here still for just tint, hell even for being lowered or to loud of exhaust.

Tint was really easy, I forgot to scrap the windows with a blade first so I did end up with some things into it but its not that bad at all.I can live with it;)

Well today didn't go to well.I tried redoing my steering shaft with just using one ujoint and it wouldn't work.the steering wheel comes out 2" to the left and straight.no biggie tho.so I went on summit and ordered the second ujoint.I also tightened up my gear box adjuster.it had the most sloop in it..reinstalled the oe shaft and steering is probably 60% better.these tires just track everything in the road:(

Also ordered my b2 gastank and straps.so when I get back from vacation I will be ready to rock and roll.;)

Side note...got two HUGE quotes in at work today so if we get them I will be slammed with OT!!!;) which means I """""""COULD"""""" have all the parts ordered, made and in within a month..I would LOVE to have this truck done and on the track before summer ends..then I could have my explorer up and running for fall trips:):bounce::bounce::chug::chug:

Got the new ujoint in today and finished up the swap.it feels so tight and firm now its crazy!! Very expensive but at high speeds and a lot of turning the last thing I wanna cut corners on is steering and suspension.

My b2 gas tank will be here tomorrow but I'm goingnouta town so it will have to wait till I get back.still also need to figure out where I'm going to put the filler neck/cap at..would like to hide it behind the rear light but probably will just end up in the bed corner.

Pics..
When I said it was holding on by a thread I meant it!!:(

20130711_164016_zps79e1d9a1.jpg

20130711_170034_zpsb08f8bfe.jpg

20130711_172111_zps3cbd48c0.jpg

Good thing you fixed that it looks dangerous... no wonder you were freaking out about getting it fixed.

It was.the bottom piece had like two cracks through it also:( I should have posted pictures of how bad the ra bushings, pivot bushings and ball joints were.they all was SHOT, like real bad.this truck drives and stops like a dream now.still don't have rear brakes tho, all in do time!;)

Man, put some valve cover gaskets on this thing!

Benjam :D

Man, put some valve cover gaskets on this thing!

Not wasting any time on this motor wile its in and yea they leak like crazy!!! Nice smoke show when you first start it;)

You should see them on my lady's truck! They leak so bad I thought it was the rear main at first... dripping right off the bell-housing.

well got to mocking up the B2 tank today.went pretty good.couple of things tho,i had to cut one of the cross bars off the bottom of the bed to get it to go up closer.also i think im going to relocate the vent(small hole on top) to the very edge on the side.just depends what the vent looks like,i dont have one yet.i had planned on using B2 straps also but found out they wont work so ill have to make my own.besides that it fits real nice

im going to order the sender,vent and Walbro 255LPH fuel pump this week.im going to look at different options for filler necks.i was planning on having it come out in the bed but more i looked at it, the more i think just use a stock ranger hose and get a nice filler neck/fuel door.weld the old one shut and just make a new one farther back.:dunno:

on to the pics:D
20130721_152732_zpsa87873cc.jpg

20130721_152844_zpsf0e0674e.jpg

20130721_152910_zpscc3fb0ad.jpg

20130721_153238_zps7a7854aa.jpg

20130721_153402_zps8c9f3ba4.jpg

had to cut this yellow bar out

20130721_153122_zpsac7a5ba1.jpg

20130721_163724_zpsc658c141.jpg

20130721_163730_zps5cba56e8.jpg

Also found out my driveshaft has hit/rubbed.remember i have a solid one piece shaft.just barley and looks like just once, just enough to rub the paint off.I'm dropped about 2" in the rear now, sua is going to give me about another 2".I've got about 3" of room I can drop the trans but don't know how much I can drop the motor.I have clearance now for the motor but the new motor has the sohc oil pan on it, little larger.so I'm stuck to whether just tunnel the cab or try and make solid motor/trans mounts now.I'm thinking just tunnel it but thats a lot of fab:(

Well today didn't go to well.I tried redoing my steering shaft with just using one ujoint and it wouldn't work.the steering wheel comes out 2" to the left and straight.no biggie tho.so I went on summit and ordered the second ujoint.I also tightened up my gear box adjuster.it had the most sloop in it..reinstalled the oe shaft and steering is probably 60% better.these tires just track everything in the road:(

Also ordered my b2 gastank and straps.so when I get back from vacation I will be ready to rock and roll.;)

Side note...got two HUGE quotes in at work today so if we get them I will be slammed with OT!!!;) which means I """""""COULD"""""" have all the parts ordered, made and in within a month..I would LOVE to have this truck done and on the track before summer ends..then I could have my explorer up and running for fall trips:):bounce::bounce::chug::chug:

Well we got them;) I'm freakn slammed!! Working the next 13 days straight at 12hours a day, then I get 3 days off and have to work the next 21 straight. So doubt ill have any time to do anything to the truck but the parts should start pouring in VERY soon:DOctober and nov will be VERY fun months..

O and now I got a little cash some heavy customization of the motor is in the works:shifty_ey:shifty_ey
someone say 400hp:confused::smoke::burnout:

well just a little update.like i said im working 7 days a week but got off early today so did some work on the tank.im about 90%done but need to take the bed off for finial install.still also need to get some new gas lines made.for the door i used a doge ram push to open fuel door mounted to a jeep plastic filler piece.then used a ranger fill tube,for the pump i went with TRE 255 pump.ill post alitte more details after its in for good and hooked up.

20130907_160451_zps7f487559.jpg

20130907_161024_zpsbf3577e1.jpg

used a 5' hole saw;)
20130907_161841_zps6e128567.jpg

20130907_163719_zps2b138b2a.jpg

20130907_163839_zpscb487bbb.jpg

then made some straps

20130907_185943_zps9a2f3902.jpg

20130907_190756_zps38d40e92.jpg

now this is where i messed up some.for some reason my measurements were a 1/4 to far forward and a 1/4" to high so i did have to massage the bed some because it was to tight:(

20130907_191523_zps45bb2282.jpg

Should mention I plan on painting it when I do the truck.for those that thinks it sticks out like a sore thumb I agree.

Awesome job JD! great fabrication skills!

IMHO you should tunnel it, but yeah it's gonna suck. Lol

You gonna fill in the old fuel door or leave it be?

IMHO you should tunnel it, but yeah it's gonna suck. Lol

You gonna fill in the old fuel door or leave it be?

I gota tunnel it.I've got the metal just need to roll it.it really won't be as bad as I thought.my plan was to lower the motor and trans but after talking to others that have run the sohc pan on the ohv ran into the same problem I did in my ex.it hits the crossmember.so they had to raise the motor a 1/2" to clear like I did.so lowering the motor or trans is out:(just means bigger cowl hood.the tunnel will be next after I do finale install.

I plan to cut a blank and weld the old door.really wanted to put the new door in the bed but just wasn't worth the hassle. This will be way down the road tho, have a couple other body mods to do also before paint.

Got a bunch of parts flowing in just don't have any time to work at all:mad:if your a member over on rps I'm sure you have seen some of my secrets, dont wanna release them here yet.ill start a new thread for ""how to overbore and forged a ohv"" as soon as all the parts are done.they have a 5 week lead time, plus going to be another 2weeks before I can afford the last parts.BUT I WILL be breaking the 400 mark;) motor will be good till 700hp so don't have to worry about it.got a feeling ill be going through a lot of m5 till I can afford the racing t5

Back