Mac Intake install problem. Need help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mac Intake install problem. Need help please

302LVR

Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer limited
Hi all. I just found this forum recently and as usual message boards are the best place to come for help and hopefully to avoid future problems/mistakes. Here's mine:

I bought a MAC intake kit for my 1997 5.0L, and was installing it today when i realized that the plate MAC supplies for the MAF sensor to bolt to was way to big. It is defenitely too high. The hood won't close with it in, and i'm am fairly confident i installed it correctly. I bough this car from my father and he insists that it is a 1997 explorer. The sticker on the door says 09/96 as the manufacture date. I bought the kit from explorerexpress for a 1997. Do i have a '96? From the pictures on MAC's and EE's sites the plate for the 1996 kit looks like the one i need.

Also i ordered the 3" cat-back MAC kit from EE. I have been reading here that MAC's 3" kit is just too loud. I wanted more power and a throatier exhaust note, but not unbearably loud. What other cat-back kits would folks recommend. Gibson? Dynomax?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

you do in fact have a 1997

as far as the fitment issue I wish I could help.

I know when I put my MAC on my SOHC V6 the trick for proper fitment was to put it in with all the hose clamps loose so I could coax all the sections into place.

Once I did that I removed the MAC and tightended every thing with the mechanism on the hose clamp underneath out of sight.

I hope this helps some.

And welcome to the site and dont be a stranger.

Back