Mach system?

SEDLOCK25

Reaction score
City, State
Quad Cities, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baur
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 Eddie Baur Explorer with the Mach Audio subwoofer. I have discovered that the sub does not function with the radio in the car. The stock radio has been replaced with a later model Explorer radio. I know that the sub works because i have hooked it up to an external audio source and it has worked. I know that i have the wrong radio by reading other posts on this forum. What radio do i need to make my Mach system work? What radio came stock in 1998 for the Eddie Baur Explorer?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a Mach radio for those model years, from about 98-2002, some came in Aerostars and other Fords. The radio should have MACH printed on it somewhere, top or bottom. Those have a sub output, the other radios don't. Your best bet is to buy one used from a wreck that people sell the parts from. If lucky it will need nothing, but they all had a defect in the display board, requiring a repair of about $60 total. Good luck,

is that possible to add on to explorers that came without the system? can I get the sub and the headunit and just plug and play? is it pre-wired?

is that possible to add on to explorers that came without the system? can I get the sub and the headunit and just plug and play? is it pre-wired?

You would need the HU, Sub, and the wiring harness that goes from the sub to the HU. You could make your own harness, but the factory connectors are hard to replicate. If your ex didn't have the MACH system, you don't have the wiring for the sub. You'd also need to wire up power to the sub amp. IMO if you're going to do all that work it's better to install an aftermarket sub and amp (like the Thunderforms - it fits right where the factory sub went). You'll get much better sound that way.

i have a pair of 10' kicker comp VR's in a box with an MTX amp right now (altho not hooked up yet) but was thinking about a clean look...so maybe the thunderforms are the way to go

will it be as thunderous as my comp vr's ?

Look on this site for the radio you are needing. I've seen them listed by many salvage yards throughout the USA. www.car-parts.com Just put in your information & it will do the rest for you. I found a 6 CD changer out of a 1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer for $75.00 that was in perfect condition. Now I need to replace the sub-woofer too.

If the truck didn't have the Mach or Premium, it would be hard. The key is the dash wiring harness. The trucks with the Premium unit didn't have the sub, but I think that the dash wiring may be the same. The thing to look for is the third radio connector. Behind the HU there need to be three connectors, the small one with about four wires is the sub connector. The Mach vehicles have a sub wiring harness which plugs into the dash harness in the right kick panel. It leads back to the sub, and is very easy to come by.

It is possible to buy special adapters, my truck did not have a CD changer. There is an adapter harness in my dash which plugs into the radio and the changer.

Back