MAD CLUTCH PROBLEMS!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAD CLUTCH PROBLEMS!!!

Originally posted by Josh S.
ok, as long as the thing goes back into the fitting, then thats cool.

Do I have to replace the master cylinder too?

?

If it's ok I wouldn't. This one is can be done when it goes out. You don't need to drop the bell housing as I'm sure you know. So how's everything going today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, no time to do anything on DR today, I had school and now I'm at work. Hopefully I can order the stuff later tonight or tomorrow and get it in there by Friday. I'll letcha know what the deal is when I can get back under there. My previous post was referring to the comment about the clutch hydraulic line and me kinda destroying the plastic thing in it.:)

Ok guys, I'm happy to report that the CENTERFORCE DUAL FRICTION clutch set is in transit:D :D :D :D :D

I got 2 day air shipping too so it should be here soon.

one more ? for now...do I need to get the clutch and pressure plate balanced with the flywheel?

price w/ 2 day air came to about $334.

While it's all still fresh in your mind you can come up here and replace the clutch in the Ranger. :D It's 2wd so it should be a piece of cake. :rolleyes:

-T

i dont understand this balancing thing. the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate all come already balanced SEPERATELY from the factory. how are you going to balance the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate as a whole??? you cant do it outside the vehicle because how are you going to get access to the flywheel to crank bolts? and im assuming your not towing your truck to the shop.

I don't know what kind of balancing you are going to do. I thought we talked about this.?.? Any way there isn't any balancing. Take the fly wheel and have it "resurfaced". The clutch is good to go. The pressure plate will be smooth like butter. Your doing fine. Keep me informed.
Later Jeff

I dunno guys, I just heard that I should look into getting it balanced from some jerkoff(TDG). gettin flywheel balanced tomorrow. And, TDG, I'll change yer dads clutch if you get off yer ass and build my rear bumper!!!:D :rolleyes:

clutch

I had some problems when I replaced my clutch. First was I put a 94 tranny in a 92. The parts don't match up so I had to replace all the master/slave cylinders. As far a the white thingy yes it will go back together with no problems but if you have to remove it again you will have the same problems. Get a new white thingy it makes life a lot easier. About the center force clutch send it back. I got a dual friction clutch plate from Six States for $85.00 custom made the way I wanted it. This was only the clutch plate. I reused my stock pressure plate with no problems. My clutch plate is ceramic on one side and carbon metalic on the other. If your pressure plate is toast they have those also but I'm not sure what they charge for them:bounce:

Originally posted by Josh S.
I dunno guys, I just heard that I should look into getting it balanced from some jerkoff(TDG). gettin flywheel balanced tomorrow.
Thats just it, he's jerking you off. The flywheel was balanced when you took it off, so it should be balanced when you put it on. Try and make sure you put it back in in the same position though. No need to balance a flywheel that rarely sees over 3500. Now if your building up some drag car, maybe.

If it were me, unless it had seem scars, grooves or ridges, I would just knock the glaze off with some sandpaper. Worked just fine for me.

Thats th problem with some shops, "since your getting it resurfaced ($40), might as well get it balanced (for another $20 or so)". By the time your done, you might as well bought a new flywheel.

Originally posted by lonestar
Thats just it, he's jerking you off. The flywheel was balanced when you took it off, so it should be balanced when you put it on. Try and make sure you put it back in in the same position though. No need to balance a flywheel that rarely sees over 3500. Now if your building up some drag car, maybe.

If it were me, unless it had seem scars, grooves or ridges, I would just knock the glaze off with some sandpaper. Worked just fine for me.

Thats th problem with some shops, "since your getting it resurfaced ($40), might as well get it balanced (for another $20 or so)". By the time your done, you might as well bought a new flywheel.

There are a few rare engine types out there that require the flywheel and pressure plate to be balanced as a unit, didn't know if the 4.0 was one of them so I suggested he ask someone who knows.

I am A jerkoff not jerking him off. Read the post.

-T

Thought this would be the best place to ask this question since ther are alot in here that seam to know alot more than i do...

On the 5 spd. what would cause it to get stuck in forth gear.. (i am going to be picking up a donor truk with this problem and was wondering if maybe the trans would be swapable also..)

Sory for hijacking your thread just thout with this many people looking on i might get a quick answer...

Originally posted by YourmamaISSOL
Thought this would be the best place to ask this question since ther are alot in here that seam to know alot more than i do...

On the 5 spd. what would cause it to get stuck in forth gear.. (i am going to be picking up a donor truk with this problem and was wondering if maybe the trans would be swapable also..)

Sory for hijacking your thread just thout with this many people looking on i might get a quick answer...

Don't know. You might want to start a new thread. Apples with apples in this thread would be good for anyone that needs future reference.

Thanks thought it might have some thing to do with the clutch ...... i will go and start one...

Originally posted by TDG
There are a few rare engine types out there that require the flywheel and pressure plate to be balanced as a unit, didn't know if the 4.0 was one of them so I suggested he ask someone who knows.

I am A jerkoff not jerking him off. Read the post.

-T
Sorry man, LOL. I didn't know he was talking about you. Thought it was some shop.

If the flywheel is balanced and the pressure plate is balanced, won't they be balance when they are assembled together.

Anyways, got the flywheel back from the machine shop today, looks pretty damn nice, and shiny too! I'll try to post a pic tomorra or friday.

On another note, look how big this thread has gotten! Thanks a lot to everyone who has helped in answering all the "little" questions, that really make up the job!:chug:

It's been a while since I had seen a clutch install thread. This is sure to be a good one for future reference. I know when I finally get to mine, I 'll have to take a look again.
Josh before you reassemble. Make sure you clean the flywheel surface and the pressure plate surface with brake parts cleaner.

Originally posted by ipozestu
Make sure you clean the flywheel surface and the pressure plate surface with brake parts cleaner.

Yah I'll for sure clean it off after I get it up there. they put a protective coating on it after resurfacing to prevent rusting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, not a whole lotta news from this end...The flywheel is back on with a new pilot bearing. I got the clutch in the mail on friday, and (don't laugh) I ordered the completely wrong one. My clutch disc has 23 splines, and the one i ordered had 10 splines. A minor detail, but I decided to send it back and get the right one this time. Should get the new one by wednesdayish, so thats the deal...oh, and don't laugh:eek:

Back