• Register Today It's free!

MAD @ my 2006 XLS Sport

dshaulis

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLS Sport
I don't know if anyone can help me, I am a girl so I really don't know a lot about cars. Anyway, my 06 is already in the shop after owning it for 2 days. The ABS light and Traction Control light both came on while I was sitting in trafic. The truck had 1 mile on it when I purchased it on Monday. They said I may have to have my computer reprogramed. Can you believe it. The service guy said the new ones are like an airplane ****pit because they have so many gadgets on them. Who knows???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sooooooo...... what? I'm assuming they are fixing the problem and it'll be taken care of? Relax.... geeez.

I've seen too many times where people get disgusted when buying a totally redesigned car and it still has a few bugs. The first year ones always do. And its normally best to avoid those ones.

I say deal with it and be happy the dealer is taking care of it.

The day after I bought my f150 the started froze up it worked itself out after getting loosened up abit though...let the shop fix it, document it and save everything. Then if it continues you can start building a case to satisify your states lemon law ;)

But like todd said, new years always have a few bugs

I think a few of you guys are being a little ruff on her. ide be pretty upset also if my brand new car after not even enjoying it for 1 day had to go back to the shop for repairs. And since this is Ford we are talking about i dont think this is a "first year" problem. Ford is notorious for never solving problems and just keep producing the bugs.

I have a 2002 Ex and ALL the 02'-05's have drivetrain issues. Diff bearings, trannys, wheels bearings, ring and pinions etc. Mine has not had one problem yet (knock on wood, well my tranny is acting up a bit). My point is, Has Ford fixed the problem? No. Do they give a ****? No. And these are BIG problems. Levelten.com has made a bullet proof tranny for the 3rd gen X out of the 5r55w. Could have Ford done it? Yes. Did they give a ****? No. All they look at is whats cheaper for them: to make a huge recall and start start a new fixed production of the 5r55w trannys or just deal with one customer at a time, and HOPE most of them have expired warranties. Bottom line: Ford will throw us under the train and is doing it, they dont care about their customers. They got their money. Now they have decided to put in a different tranny in the 06' and not even deal with a fixable old tranny. But they havnt seen the last of it, because they are still putting the 5r55 in the Mustangs and 06' V6 Ex's. Will they fix the trannys? Lets hope.

Makes you wonder why people start to buy imports. Ford remember this: Never **** on the same table you eat!!!

Then you call a dealer to ask them for advice on what their findings are to fix the drivetrain issue and they dont give you the time of day.

dshaulis:

Im sure this is a simple fix and it wont surface again. CodePoet had some good advice, document everything. And DONT let your warranty run out and renew it when needed.

Good luck and keep us posted.

What car do you have? I dont see a Sport XLS version of an 06' Explorer.... just the Sport Trac XLS. Is that what you have?

dshaulis said:
They said I may have to have my computer reprogrammed. The service guy said the new ones are like an airplane ****pit because they have so many gadgets on them.
True on the gadgets, sounds like there maybe more wrong, shouldn't take days to reprogram but minutes. Sounds like parts are needed, just be patient they will fix it, and keep us posted. They should tell you whats really wrong be interesting to know. I would agree you shouldn't have problems with a new truck, but it does happen, but not often.

awdrocks

I do have the 06 XLS with Sports package..it has upgraded wheels and tires over the base XLS and then just little things such as side step bars and cross bars on roof rack. Sorry for that

Ok they said it was a sensor called a (i swear I'm not sure of this spelling or if I heard correctly) Yall sensor (that sounds ridiculous as I am typing it). And they didn't reprogram the computer after all so they had to send out for this part. I had a new Taurus rent a car...o my god don't ever buy that car it was horrible (plus it smelled like an old ladies perfume)

Could it have been Hall Sensor? They are used to control spark timing, common now a days.
"A Hall effect sensor is an electronic device that varies its output voltage in response to changes in magnetic field density. Hall sensors are used for proximity switching, positioning , speed detection and current sensing applications."

I agree with what someone else said about buying any vehicle in the first year of a redesign. I have a 2000 Sport...the LAST year of the 95-00 run on Sports before the overhaul in 2001. I did that for a reason. I had a choice of a brand new '01 or a '00 with 13,000 km on it and it was a no-brainer when I bought my Sport.

Fact remains, you've got plenty of warranty left and you'll get it sorted out....eventually. Just hope you've got a good stealership and they'll take care of you.

It may be a YAW sensor to help keep the traction control informed of sway movement of the vehicle in turns.

Sport + Explorer = two doors.

If it has a "sport" package it is a dealer ploy to sell you more stuff :)

410Fortune said:
Sport + Explorer = two doors.

If it has a "sport" package it is a dealer ploy to sell you more stuff :)

Ford has put a "sport package" on the 4 doors since '99. Its a factory appearance package.

I would be upset if my new vehicle had to go back in the shop. I think that we have become so accustomed to new production vehicles having bugs and problems that we have deemed it acceptable. But it is not. It's still just cutting corners and quality to save money and rushing to get a product out as soon as you can. A new product line should not have hardly anymore problems than one that has been in production for a while. Are they going to be perfect? No, but the bugs should be small and nothing major. It just a result of the poor quality manufactures are using these days. I think its almost a game with them. "How cheap can we make it and get away with it? Aw dang a bunch of people are having problems with that. I guess we're going to have to pony up and make that item better."

Sorry, rant over. I am just sick of the poor quality with all products these days.

I know it's ploy to sell me more stuff, but that's what I wanted, more stuff. I don't know how to put on side step bars or cross bars and the upgraded tires and wheels cost me like $500 in the sports package and they would cost a whole lot more if I'd buy them after market ..and I like the grill being painted the same color as my truck instead of ugly black...
I don't know what you meant by Sport + Explorer = 2 Door if your referring to the Sport Trac (and again I am not sure) they are 4 door too
Same thing I did with my 06 Mazda 3 Sport..I got every option on the car right down to the 17 inch wheels...i love the way that car looks

Hmm interesting, a sport package since 99

You see since 91 Ford made an Explorer Sport, which always had two doors
I believe the last year of the sport was 2003?

Anyitime somebody said Explorer Sport, to us old school guys that meant 2 doors. Apparently now it can also mean 4 door with appearance package.

You are wise for buying it with all the options, if I ever buy a new car from the dealer it will be fully loaded, IMO the only way to go!

YAW sensor!!!! o my I feel dumb...you are exactly right...that is what the part is called..stupid me..

hey I have a question for anyone..(again I don't know the technical name for it) I want either the wood grain (like in the Eddie Bauer ed) or a chrome or brushed silver piece that goes around my control panel on my dash..right now it's black...does anyone know where I can get it? I can't get it through Ford, I checked Ebay too.

They pop up on Ebay. Just keep an eye out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

like an airplane ****pit... right...

still less stuff than 95% of other comparably priced imports and at least half the domestics

Back