MAF and IAC Location In A 2004 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF and IAC Location In A 2004 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 Engine

explorer4life

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer EB
I have searched all over the net for the location and "how to" either clean them or replace them. I prefer to just replace them. But I can't any engine diagrams for the 4.6L V8 engine (Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD) anywhere.

I came back from Autozone today and they did the code thing for me because my service engine soon light came on. It gave a P0506 code. The messages was all directed to the IAC. Autozone have an IAC for 2004 Ford Explorers for less than $41.00. I have no problems spending this because I checked around and shops want $164.00 for the part and $110.00 for labor.

If all it is is two bolts and one wire, I am very confident I can do it myself. Just need to know where it is located. I also read about the MAF and spraying MAF cleaner to get the sensors working properly again. Every where I checked it showed the2004 v6 engines but not the 4.6L V* engines. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The MAF is located on the intake tube right behind the air filter box. It can be taken out and sprayed with MAF cleaner or replaced. Either way, be sure to disconnect your battery for a bit (10-15 mins).

The IAC valve is located on the throttle body and is just 2 bolts and a plug. Be sure you have a new gasket for it when you replace it.

Thank you for this info. Where is the throttle body? I have went outside and located the MAF (easy location per your instructions).

Can you explain where the throttle body is located? When I look at the engine, I will start from the 4.6L sign on the egine.

Thank you for this info. Where is the throttle body? I have went outside and located the MAF (easy location per your instructions).

Can you explain where the throttle body is located? When I look at the engine, I will start from the 4.6L sign on the egine.

That's it. The thing square in the middle on top of the engine. When you get the IAC you'll be able to see it. It's right on the front.

Back