• Register Today It's free!

MAF cleaning

oceanworker

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0
When searching this forum for info I usually alway come across MAF cleaning techniques.
I recently cleaned mine using a CRC Carb cleaner (sensor safe) or so they say on the lable.
Then I read in some threads that ONLY brake cleaner should be used because everything else has oily based components to them. Haynes has no input and I don't want to call the tekkies from the cleaner manufactures.
Ford says "Bring her in, we'll look at her fer ya" (read: $$$$$ from ya)
What's the consensus? brake cleaner, carb cleaner, throttle body cleaner? Also what do you recommend for cleaning the IAC sensor?

P.S. Was the design of the air filter holder on a 4.0 '91 just an afterthought by the design engineers? Two screws and two tabs that don't fit well. Any Ford engineers out there?: "Come on guys.. you need to get out to the garage more often."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go with the sensor safe carb or throttle body cleaner.

About the IAC, I have seen mentionings of cleaning it. I don't see what could be cleaned tho..............

Robb

Great Billy Madison quote. Had me rollin.

i used denatured alcohol, it didnt seem to help or hurt anything

Check out the thread at the top of this page. Re Snapon ect.

I used Electric Contact Cleaner about 6 months ago, with no bad after effects yet.

I was going to clean mine today, but discovered that one of the star security screws had the head filled with a black hard plastic. Has anyone else seen this? It's an anti-tamper feature, and I was unable to dig enough out to remove the screw.

Yeah just use a pair of pliers to turn it.

yeah i used a pair of ignition pliers on the screw with the black stuff ...i drilled out the other screw with a small drill bit..

re: cleaning IAC valve

Originally posted by morrisey0
I would go with the sensor safe carb or throttle body cleaner.

About the IAC, I have seen mentionings of cleaning it. I don't see what could be cleaned tho..............

Robb

If you take it off and look into the two ports where the air can travel thru, you can see the shaft that moves back and forth to regulate the bypass air. I think that this is what you might clean to make sure that it can move freely. I ended up having to replace my IAC 2 years ago because it was sticking when the engine was warm. I don't think cleaning would have worked for mine because I could see a shiny spot on the shaft where it was rubbing against the inside bore.

Back