• Register Today It's free!

MAF housing

ckomai

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
2 part question. I plan on going to the junkyard to bet a bigger maf for my 4.0. Whats the best performance matchup? v6 mustang, 5.0 explorer/mustang? not feeling the plastic ones either. Next, do I just use the housing and keep my stock electronics or do I use the new sensor and plug that it comes with from the junkyard and why? gonna be running KKM intake, bbk 66mm throttle body and exhaust cutouts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search

Without big time head mods like porting, it's best to stick with the stock MAF and stock throttle body.

The KKM will let the stock system work to its potential, and you can mod the stock throttle body for the same (potential) airflow as the BBK, without the price:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185223

Exhaust cutouts also won't do much on a stock motor, you're better off getting a good cat-back system like a Dynomax or Flowmaster, or just having a good custom 2.25" system made with a muffler you like.

Using a Mustang MAF housing was an early attempt at performance gains years ago, but it's been proven on paper and on dynos that it just messes up the fuel/air ratio and other things. At the very least, you'd need a custom tune to even begin to take advantage of any small gain in airflow from a larger MAF opening. With a stock ECM and stock MAF sensor and stock everything else, it just messes up all the readings and gives poor mileage and performance.

X2 using a larger maf WILL mess things up especially with larger tb and exhaust mods.. .I personally have seen the numbers.also cut outs will kill your power not help at all.as stated stick with stock maf with high flow filter, bbk tb and good exhaust.

Mine wasn't messed up at all. Ran the BBK, 70MM MAS & the KKM on my previous X.
The 1 before that had the same mods but also had the superchips chip built for the 70mm MAS. Gains were there but not worth the $ invested. I wouldn't put the bigger MAS on.

Mine wasn't messed up at all. Ran the BBK, 70MM MAS & the KKM on my previous X.
The 1 before that had the same mods but also had the superchips chip built for the 70mm MAS. Gains were there but not worth the $ invested. I wouldn't put the bigger MAS on.

How do you know it wasn't messed up? You dyno it or have a wideband on it?I wouldn't trust superchips farther than I could toss it:(

MAF measure air velocity not air flow. When you put a larger MAF on there the airflow slows down which then the vehicle leans it out because it thinks is getting less air but in reality you're getting more air which mean even leaner conditions ontop of it being lean before it thinks you getting less air.it is a double negative. Throw a larger tb and high flow exhaust and your now really lean and past the point it can adjust.

larger MAF sensor?

The MAF stands for mass air flow. There are tables in the PCM that set the air/fuel ratio based on the reading from the MAF sensor. Increasing the diameter of the MAF sensor housing increases the cross sectional area decreasing the air flow across the sensor which lowers the output voltage of the sensor. The lower voltage indexes a lower fuel injector pulse width in the PCM tables. Initially, the engine runs lean. However, in closed loop the PCM reads the lean values from the O2 sensors and adjusts the long term fuel trims to restore the desired air/fuel ratio provided the fuel trims do not reach the limits. This is why most members who increase the MAF sensor diameter don't notice a degradation in performance. However, when the PCM is in open loop (as during WOT) it uses predetermined tables for the air/fuel ratio and ignores the adjusted fuel trims. The mixture will be lean and maximum acceleration will degrade from stock. The risk of detonation increases.

If your goal for installing a larger MAF sensor is to improve acceleration then you need a custom tune to adjust the tables for the proper air/fuel ratio. For your OBDI system this can only be done properly on a dynamometer with an added wideband air/fuel ratio meter.

went to the junkyard to get the maf and they wanted 40 plus tax plus the part fee for a total of $51!!! good thing I didn't get it, im convinced not to use it now. KKM intake, BBK TB and exhaust seem nice and safe to me.

street rod is helping me understand that obd1 needs a factory programn
i like all the things someone can do to an obd2 system gadgets software laptop gages etc
i look at the brain and notice a soldered rather than dip socketed aparatus i can painstakingly put in a dip possibly but what about the programmer there is a edge connector also i assume its for the factory programmer were is one to salvage and run
some deletes and such or an maf mod egr delete and o2 trim for a bigger air intake

kinda a bummer that the 5.o cobra mod dosnt do anything but harm i know the truck runs better when it has cold air and wonder where passing fuel is ..but im with you on the tech

no aftermarket mod to upgrade to obd2 or program the little bugger with software?

OBD2/EEC-V would be possible with a complete wiring swap from a later 4.0 Explorer but it wouldn't be worth it for most people.

Your EEC-IV system is tunable with a TwEECer or Moates Quarterhorse. Tuning support is a bit limited due to the nature of the vehicle (it's not a Mustang or 5.0).

The 4.0 PCM is pretty flexible at adapting to mods and its tough to raise the VE on this engine substantially anyways without spending a lot. If you go forced induction you'll need a tune, but there was a member who ran some sort of forced induction on a stock PCM and said it actually ran fine. Your results may vary.

tryd to get a performance chip and software from quarter horse guy said good luck
unless you can delete 2 cylinders :/ getting old to make a sale he ha ....probably some stuff is there to use tweecer

boy looks like I imagined even windows 8 he ha ....... 489 :/ ..that's a 5 litter with rebuild heha ...... anybody whos got a used interface im looking for a surplus store in florida im from CA I could find anything edge connector and usb programmers

Model

Year

Type

Litres

{{{{Part No Strategy Catch Code Hardware))))))

there are moates programmers but looks like id have to have a edge connector adaptor as it should be female

OBD2/EEC-V would be possible with a complete wiring swap from a later 4.0 Explorer but it wouldn't be worth it for most people.

Your EEC-IV system is tunable with a TwEECer or Moates Quarterhorse. Tuning support is a bit limited due to the nature of the vehicle (it's not a Mustang or 5.0).

The 4.0 PCM is pretty flexible at adapting to mods and its tough to raise the VE on this engine substantially anyways without spending a lot. If you go forced induction you'll need a tune, but there was a member who ran some sort of forced induction on a stock PCM and said it actually ran fine. Your results may vary.

SCT Eliminator chip for old fox body mustang will work and about the only way to go...it can be dyno tuned by any SCT dyno shop..but as stated its not worth the cost unless FI

Ps I currently run low boost on a completely stock ecm.......( stock injectors and stock MAF) and it runs acceptable. .I do have the SCT chip and it has been dyno tuned on my other vehicle but just haven't had time to swap codes and install it..

Back