MAF mod question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF mod question

G

geoph1986

I went to my local U-Pull yesterday to get some stuff, and while there I decided to get a better flowing MAF housing. However, it seems that they are a hot item around here and I couldn't find one on a 4.6L or a 5.0L. So I got one out of a 3.8L Windstar, and it seems that it will fit/bolt in just fine. It looks the same as pics of the 5.0L one, and has a 75mm diameter at it's narrowest point. Now my question...Is the sensor in the Windstar housing the same as my X? They look the same (different part numbers, but I think it's because they are sold as a unit, sensor+housing) and the filaments on the Windstar one are in far better cosmetic condition than the one on the X. I'd prefer to clean and use the sensor off the Windstar, if I could.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It won't work right.

Pull the sensor from your Explorers housing, and bolt it to the Windstar housing.

Ryan

That's kinda what I was thinking, but...was worth asking the question. Visually and dimensionally, it is my belief that the 3.8L Windstar MAF housing is the same as the 4.6L & 5.0L ones. If I am wrong, chime in and correct me. Also, an option if you don't have security torx bits. I took my Dremel, and with an etching bit, the same size as the pin in the center of the screw head, I filed down the pin. The screw now accepts regular torx bits.

I went way easier than that....I just cut a straight slot across the head with my dremel. Now it will take a standard Torx, OR a flat head screwdriver.

Ryan

Nice, I didn't even think of making it a slotted screw. It finally stopped raining here, so today I'm cleaning the MAF, IAC, and installing the 3.8L MAF housing. If time permits, I'll also change the front shocks and driver's side spindle. I'll post back with my results from using the 3.8L MAF housing.

Update:

Alright, The MAF housing seems to fit ok. The intake pipe was a little bit of a tight fit...but with a lil' lube :D it went on. I also was going to do the swiss cheese air box, but it turns out the bottom part of the box is broken. So I removed it (off to the u-pull for another one), and while doing so bumped the plastic connector thing to the heater core and it broke. It must have been weak already, 'cause I didn't bump it very hard. Later today I'll replace both items and I'll post back again.

I forgot to post back. I got it all back together, and I have to say that so far this has been the best free-ish mod I've done so far. The 3.8L housing worked great.

Back