• Register Today It's free!

MAF? Oxygen Sensor? Klingons?

BritCaptain

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
About a year ago, my 2000 XLS cracked a head and had to have pretty much a complete engine rebuild. After the rebuild, check engine light has been on but there has been no discernible deterioration in performance. Codes were P1152 and P1132. I also noticed that the vehicle was shifting hard into third, and occasionally the O/D off light would blink and an additional code was thrown out indicating incorrect gear ratio in 3rd.

More recently, I noticed that fuel economy was taking a hit and everything on here and elsewhere indicated that I should first clean the MAF sensor and than replace the thing. I cleaned it, with no joy, and then spent $129 on a new one.

When I put the sensor on, the fuel economy got worse, and the performance of the engine seriously deteriorated. It would stutter and kick when the throttle was applied, particularly under load.

I've had various people, tell me various things. Catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, fuel pressure, you name it.

Can anyone tell me what to look at next?

An educated guess suggests that if performance got worse with a new MAF sensor, it is responsible for that change. Sounds likely you have the wrong MAF, that is, it's calibration is not set for your engine, or it is faulty.

Generally, a totally DEAD MAF will result in an almost undrivable condition of running.

Any chance you might have damaged the MAF during installation? imp

Back