• Register Today It's free!

MAF sensor

explorer82184

Reaction score
City, State
plano,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
went to clean my MAF today but you need some kind of security star screw driver to get it off. anyone know if they pretty easy to find or if i can get it off a diff way?

also

can anyone tell me how and where to find the throttle body so i can clean it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a set last fall from Checker. ~$10 I think. I don't remember for sure, but I think the hardest part of finding them was getting the guy behind the parts counter to know what I was looking for. Once I found someone who knew what I was looking for, we went right over to the shelf and pulled them off.

i found them easily...in the tool row at my local checker also..(well, out here it is kragen, but it is the same company) located near the regular torx bits...the name of the series is a security torx bit set...

Lowes has them for under $10 bucks in the "tool world" area. I asked the first guy I saw if they had torx screw bits and he pointed me right to them. They also sell the torx screws, but he was out of them. I've heard that the screws on the MAF sensor are to be replaced when you check it.

If you can't find at a local place, I found them online and they were delivered in a couple days.It's a small kit that has the star,torx and some others I haven't figured out yet..Anyway the site is Dead Link Removed
They were about $13 delivered.

The throttle body is at the end of the black air intake tube, on top of the engine.

Back