MAF vs OBDII Wiring for 5.0/ 5.8 Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAF vs OBDII Wiring for 5.0/ 5.8 Swap

Pollarican

Reaction score
City, State
Wall Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB 4dr
Hey guys,

I know the 5.0 swap has a million threads - from poking though these within the forum it seems people try and either entirely retain the Explorer 5.0 OBDII drivetrain along with wiring, or simply ditch everything and convert to a carb'd type setup.

My main question is, why don't more people stick with a MAF electrical system, and use the explorer engine with older style wiring/ diagnostics? I see painless sells a generic 5.0 Mass Air wiring kit, how hard could it be to convert a harness/ computer from something like a 1991 -1994 f150 5.0 to work with the first gen body, and then selectively backwards adapt the second gen Explorer 5.0 motor to match those electronics that were mostly found in the stock first gen explorer.

I know there is issues of DIS vs. Distributor. I know everyone wants the second gen Ex 302 vs one out of a F series because of better serp drive, better flowing heads, better intake. Can't we design an easily swapped hybrid solution using an Explorer 302, with early 90's wiring?

I'd love to get some input from anybody. My main interest in this subject would be the ability to snag a f150 computer that had a manual trans behind it, and be able to swap a 302 into a first gen without having to go through some ordeal attempting to flash the auto trans functions to run a manual behind it.

Back