mahieber '92 4x4 MAKEOVER | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mahieber '92 4x4 MAKEOVER

92 4x4 MAKEOVER

I have started the next round of mods to the 92 X with some basic performance parts(I've had the chip for 7 or 8 years).

1. Added the Granatelli MAF sensor... getting the thing to fit in the old gasket was the only real trouble.

Lesson 1. Take the whole intake tube off of the engine makes it much easier to work into the gasket.
Lesson 2. Taking the whole intake tube off let me notice that a hole or crack was there that was allowing unfiltered air in, and this air was on the intake side of the MAF, so this was probably making the engine run lean.
Lesson 3. Taking the whole intake tube off let me notice how much gunk had built up in the throttle body. It was pretty sticky gunk, so I am sure it is fumes from the hose coming from the valve cover. Prep-Sol on a rag cleaned it up rather nicely. I will probably get some Gumout and spray to clean up what I couldn't get with the rag.

2. Added the KKM Conical Air Filter.
Lesson 4. The airbox comes out easier if you disconnect the "Ram" air intake hose and the heat riser hose first.
Lesson 5. The spot where the airbox goes looks awfully inviting for a second battery except the new filter sits right there.

...so now I am visualizing a custom intake tube which would go towards the driver's side and have the intake be over there. I have to consider how to get the wires to the MAF sensor, and how to connect the hose from the valve cover.

Question 1. Has anyone done this?

Question 2. Does anyone know if the distance between the MAF and the throttle body is critical?

Question 3. Does anyone know if the distance between the valve cover vent hose and the throttle body is critical?

I have seen the solution for putting the second battery over on the driver's side by getting a smaller washer tank and relocating the coolant tank, but this seems more sensible. Seems like the second battery would be much easier to integrate if it was right next to the stock battery.

I am thinking of fabbing up a single tray that would replace the stock battery tray and the bottom tray of the airbox. This single tray would hold a red top and a yellow top, connected together with the battery isolation components. I like the yellow top for my winch.

3. I have most of the interior out of the truck.
Lesson 6. Keep all of the screws where you can find them.
Lesson 7. The DIN removal tool for the radio is a nice thing to have... push both of them in hard, and pull the radio out.
Lesson 8. The older trucks have brittle plastic. Most of the pins broke off of the main dash trim piece. Double-sided tape may be the preferred method of reinstallation.
Lesson 9. PVC Cement works really well to repair the cracked center arm rest support. To make it bullet proof, you can rough up the inside with steel wool and fill it with bondo (Make sure you use hardener).
Lesson 10. If you are going to buy a custom center console big enought to hold a CD Changer, don't bother fixing the cracked center armrest.

Well it got dark and cold, so I think I am done for the night. My stereo stuff should show up soon, but I am going to hold off that install until the truck gets back from the shop. I am having them install my 3" body lift kit and my 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension lift kit. I know I can handle the body lift kit myself, but got a little intimidated by the coil spring change out in the suspension kit, so a local body shop is going to handle it for me (And convert the A/C - changing out the valve cover gaskets after 133k miles while they can get at them).

Then when it gets back, the stereo goes in, new carpet from http://www.autostyles.com/ftcarpet.htm#Explorer
goes in, put the seats back in, and I am probably going to paint the whole truck with some brand of Herculiner like material to keep from scuffing the paint in the woods.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long day

1. Got most of the pinstriping off.

Hint: <search> remove pinstripe

The board has the answer again!!!

2. Got the Front bumper off.

Lesson 1. Get someone to help put it back on, or take the winch off first. Man that was heavy. I had it on a jack, but when I was rolling it away from the truck, the jack kinda hit an expansion joint in my driveway, and the adrenalin must have kicked in, because I don't think I can lift it, but I was standing there holding it saying "Uh Oh":nono:

3. Tried to install the helix throttle body spacer. They sent me these screws that are more like deck screws than machine screws. I wasted an hour trying to find some 6mm screws that were long enough. The helix tower is back in the box. :shoot: :fire:

4. Ordered my dual Optima batteries and a dual battery combiner/isolator from Hellroaring Technologies. It was more expensive than most, but I didn't want to waste money on something that could fry everything. Ordered the batteries from 4WheelParts because they have free shipping until the 31st and I don't have to pay 8+% sales tax that way. :cool:

5. The "Shelf-It" has been installed and is coming out tomorrow. :shoot:
Lesson 2. Anything with a name that fits the pattern "S-----It" will probably make you feel that way. Does it count as your "Worst Mod" if you don't leave it in? :fire:

Waiting for the Mosquitos to die down (sorry Buffalo) so I can go make room for the bumper... what a pretty day here. :eek:

6. Noticed that just about all of my front lights have condensation in them. I have clear corners coming from Pacificie or whatever it is called, but I need the headlights. I need both sides, thought I only needed the driver's side.:(

...well back to cleaning the garage.:(

Short day... it was a bit too cold. Ripped off the rear panel and took out the stock amp. Loaded all of the lift kit parts in the truck, and then took it out for a quick spin.

I wanted to see how the new KKM air filter and Granatelli MAF sensor felt. Runs good. I can tell the difference, and I like the throaty sound...even if the secondaries never quite kick in :D .

I don't know how much more I will get done before it goes to the shop for the lift kits...probably just finish ripping the carpet out... I was going to spray the inside with bedliner before I put down new carpet, but this cold snap has put that on hold.

Ready for the lift kits

Well, today was another short day, but I got all of the carpet ripped out, got the instrument panel back in after a good cleaning, and learned how to use my wife's camera and how to upload photos to ofoto.com.

The pictures are at Dead Link Removed

Picture 1 shows the undercarriage after I took off the Smittybilt tube bumper and winch... notice the rusty steering stabilizer... need to get that chromed or something.

Pictures 2 and 3 show what a 92 looks like after 133k miles and how the Michelin 31x10.5s fit nicely on stock wheels. Notice a good portion of the pinstriping is gone. More to follow.

Picture 4 is the boxes containing the Rancho suspension lift, the PA Body Lift and the Lift Lips. I don't know why they sent me Red shock boots, I asked for blue.

If you would like to see what the inside of a Explorer looks like naked look at picture 5, 6, 7 and 8. Aldive, picture 7 shows how much room there is where the stock amp used to be.

Hopefully it will go in the shop on Monday. I leave for a mission trip to Mexico this weekend, and I would like it lifted when I get back on the 14th.

I am still looking for a driver's side headlight assembly.

Keep trucking

Still don't have my J**p back... grrrrrrrrrrr

I decided since I already had everything torn off of and out of the truck, the body lift couldn't be that big of a deal... it wasn't. Did the job all by myself in about 6 hours. It wouldn't have taken that long except the instructions kept blowing over into the neighbor's yard.

I will post pictures tomorrow. It would have taken longer if I hadn't already had the front mounts undone and the whole inside of the truck bare. You might be able to do it with a friend in 6 hours.

Nice thing about it is now I have PLENTY of room under the hood to fab up my custom intake and mount my dual batteries. Maybe next weekend.:bounce: :bounce:

Well tomorrow finally came. Let's see. For the lates set of "progress" pictures you can go to:

Dead Link Removed

I have the body lift installed. I have the battery tray cut to make room for the new custom cold air intake.

I have installed the indiglo gauges. I have cut out my glove box to make room for the cd changer. Room is relative... the part sticking out of the bottom will be hidden by carpet.

I replaced the hinge pins on the driver's door.

I have installed the rear end part of the Rancho 2 1/2" lift kit, new rear shocks, and Warrior shackles.

The interior is completely stripped, and I have begun spraying rubberized undercoat where I won't be putting Dynamat. ALL of the panels except the dash and headliner are out. I have ordered some vinyl penetrating dye and they will be a darker blue. None of my stock speakers had any foam left. It was all rotted out.

This week I am going to have a shop install the front end of the lift kit. I made some enhancements to the warrior lift kit. I bought new leaf spring bushings and installed them (after burning out the stock ones with a propane torch), and installed Warrior shackles. I always wanted shackles since my first car - 66 Barracuda. I also ordered the front axle pivot bushings, because they didn't come with the lift kit. I got the extra bushings from James Duff. Be careful if you decide to burn out the top "shackle" bushing next to the gas tank. I got scared and cut it out with a sawzall.

After I get it back from the shop I will post some pictures of how the whole lift kit looks. Then the interior goes in... unless I decide to get the whole truck sprayed with Line-X.

My 30 gallon gas tank is on the way, and I hope I can save up the money to order my Kennesaw Mtn bumper with rear tire carrier and embedded backup lights.

Getting there!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Back