Main console/Rear Speaker problems...'97 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Main console/Rear Speaker problems...'97 Explorer XLT

wesc011

Reaction score
City, State
durham, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I've got a 1997 Explorer XLT with a pioneer deck and Infinity speakers in the front and back.

To make a long story short, I decided to buy a console off ebay because the one I got was in fairly bad shape.

Big mistake.

First of all, it wasn't in much better condition, but that's a whole different story. But most importantly, I noticed that when I put this new console in, my rear speakers would not work at all. I made sure everything was connected firmly, and confirmed that the new console was indeed the problem.

I posted here or another Explorer forum (it was a few months back, so I can't remember) and I was told to take the wiring harness from the new console and replace it with the harness from the old one. So I took both of them completely apart one day and switched out the harnesses. No luck. It took me forever, so as you could imagine, I was pretty frustrated. I basically gave up and put the new one back together. So my old harness is still in there but I have no rear speakers. Does anyone know what I can do, or if there's something I need to get in order for my back speakers to work?

Thanks in advance.

by console you mean headunit right? are you sure you didnt pinch/cut any wires putting the new one in or potentially ripped some wires pulling the old one out?

Back