Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC | Page 4 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC

cjmedina

Reaction score
City, State
Central New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
3 Explorers 01,99,99
Looks like the rear jackshaft bolt.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
WHY DIDN'T FORD GO THIS ROUTE WITH THE 4.0l SOHC....CHAINS IN FRONT AND NO JACKSHAFT.....WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?????

One timing chain is in the back on the 4.0L SOHC because they use identical heads on both sides. If you look at the back of the driver's side head under the intake assembly, you will see that it is fully machined and threaded for a thermostat housing, and is merely closed up with a freeze plug. Saves a bunch of money making it if you have only one line making one part, rather than side-specific castings.

<

cjmedina

Reaction score
City, State
Central New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
3 Explorers 01,99,99
One timing chain is in the back on the 4.0L SOHC because they use identical heads on both sides. If you look at the back of the driver's side head under the intake assembly, you will see that it is fully machined and threaded for a thermostat housing, and is merely closed up with a freeze plug. Saves a bunch of money making it if you have only one line making one part, rather than side-specific castings.

Interesting!

If you want to swap sides all you would have to do is remove the plug, clean up the threads and clean up the surface.

CJ

<

2000StreetRod

Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
Left & right head differences

Interesting!

If you want to swap sides all you would have to do is remove the plug, clean up the threads and clean up the surface.

CJ

I believe the hole for the hydraulic tensioner would have to be drilled and tapped on the opposite side of the head.

<

W

wow97

i would to thanks the person for help me out with the pictures thank you very much maybe one day i do the timing chain but for now im going on vaction this summer with the girlfriend need to spent time with less with family and friend

<

cjmedina

Reaction score
City, State
Central New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
3 Explorers 01,99,99
I believe the hole for the hydraulic tensioner would have to be drilled and tapped on the opposite side of the head.[/QUO

YEP...Your right. I forgot about that.

CJ

<

W

wow97

i have a 1997 ford explorer 4.0 ohv v-6 vin x im thinking doing timing chain i have 150,000
what i need to do thank you any picture would help

<

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
i have a 1997 ford explorer 4.0 ohv v-6 vin x im thinking doing timing chain i have 150,000
what i need to do thank you any picture would help

......if you have the OHV then you should know by searching on here that the ohv's do not have this problem....but then again it seems like you don't know which engine your truck has since you been back and fourth in saying which motor you have....

<