Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have camshaft position (CMP) sensor at bottom of my motor next crank pulley

No, You have a Crankshaft position sensor (CKP) at the bottom of your motor, next to the crank pulley.

where is camshaft position sensor.
4.0ohv v-6
my girlfriend want to learn auto mechiac im try to teach her but sometimes she hard head

i know and think i got 4.0 COLOGNE SOHC V-6 WITH 210 HP 256 FL LBS TORGUE WITH ONE TIME CHAINS

I thought that the OHV 4.0 was almost the same shortblock. Is it not possible that the holes are there to match what's used in the OHV engine? I like the thought, and I hadn't noticed that the tension side was not straight, that's dumb. I changed the main jackshaft chain, but the gears were special order and high, I skipped those.

Attachments

• Projectthread087.JPG
    Projectthread087.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,808

Ratchet tensioner

I really like the ratchet style tensioner used in the OHV V6. With that tensioner at engine start there is always about as much tension on the chain as generated by the highest oil pressure from the past engine run. I wish that Ford had used ratchet tensioners on the SOHC engine upper and lower chains.

Pertinent comment?

where is camshaft position sensor.
4.0ohv v-6
my girlfriend want to learn auto mechiac im try to teach her but sometimes she hard head

The title of this thread is "Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC." If you have comments regarding the thread subject they are welcome. Otherwise, please start your own thread about your topic of interest.

i love my 4.0 e.f.i it is strong and it fast and furious it great because low end torque for off the line fast when it come to racing i race alot of cars in time i beat bmw toyota nissan honda chevy even dodge people was mad and stock then boy got under i got 4.0 e.f.i v-6 bone stock the mods i did 2andhalf inch cat back muffler flowmaster i got new flowmaster performance series 40 street/strip muffler

lol.....Anyway..Are you going to see if swapping the OHV parts are possible? Like Don had said from the reading I had done the block its self is suppose to be identical so maybe of possibility to swap the parts..

OHV tensioner & guide wanted

There are significant differences between the OHV block and the SOHC block. The height and oil passages are different. The main tensioner and guide mounting holes are in different locations. There is no oil port for the hydraulic tensioner.

If anyone has an old OHV timing chain tensioner and/or guide I'd sure like to have one for experimental purposes. I'd be glad to pay shipping costs. I'd like to come up with an alternative for the stock components for when I rebuild my engine in a year or two.

lol that i want to know it is for my girlfriend school project at lincoln tech phila pa campus

finally THANK YOU VERY MUCH SEE NEED THAT PICTURE FOR SCHOOL PROJECT THANK YOU VERY MUCH female are a pain in the ass

that the motor i have un my 97 ford explorer it the best motor i had my life my girlfriend love it to the way she drive it build ford touch i mean it

Even though Explorers from 1991 thru 2001 were powered by the OHV V6 I was not able to find any photos of it's main timing chain on the forum. There were hardly any threads that even discussed it. However, there are numerous threads posted on the forum about the SOHC V6 timing chains. I'm confident that the reason for the lack of OHV threads is because it has proven to be very reliable. I have been unable to find a photo of the timing components mounted on the engine with the timing cover removed. However, the photo below shows an OHV crankshaft sprocket, camshaft sprocket, timing chain, guide, and tensioner.
View attachment 57957
Please notice that the chain guide has a straight slot for the chain. When the guide is mounted on the block it does not tension the chain. It merely restricts the chain from deviating from a straight line as the crankshaft sprocket pulls the chain to rotate the camshaft sprocket. Also notice the length and thickness of the chain contact surface on the tensioner. While you can't see it in the photo, under the temporary installation keeper is a plunger that pushes the contact surface against the chain.

The photo below shows the crankshaft to jackshaft chain installed on a SOHC V6.
View attachment 57958
Please notice how the guide deflects the chain inward toward the other half. One problem with this design is the deflection results in significant guide wear. As the guide wears away the distance from the crankshaft sprocket to the jackshaft sprocket decreases resulting in a change in crankshaft to camshaft timing. Also notice the absence of the chain contact surface on the tensioner. It appears to have been completely worn away. The photo below shows a worn and new tensioner.
View attachment 57959
The method of tensioning and the robustness of the tensioner is obviously inferior to that of the OHV tensioner. Ford's redesign of the SOHC tensioner can be seen in the photo. It appears to be limited to enlarging the mounting base and possibly changing the composition of the contact material. I am concerned about spending the time to tear down my engine to replace the tensioner with such a flimsy component of questionable reliability. My first thought was to try and use the OHV tensioner and guide but there are significant differences in the mounting bolt holes on the two blocks.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket tensioner that is more robust?

2000StreetRod, Firstly many thanks for taking the time to document your work, and for the detailed commentary in your posts. This is most helpful to others, and greatly appreciated.

With regard to the Primary (jackshaft) chain tensioner, the new design incorporates a 5 leaf spring as well as a more robust mounting bracket. Not as good as an oil/spring combination unit, but still superior to the original design. I have all the parts I need to do this job on my own truck, and expect to get at in in a week or two. I expect that my primary chain tensioner is long since shot, and i am hoping my 2 cassettes are still servicable.

now i have a 4.0 ohv vin x i have one timing chain set-up thanks god for it thank for fyi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back