• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance/cleaning/upgrades..??

Chaztschida

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer XLT 4.0
So i got the 2001 4.0 xlt.. plan on selling in about a year (tax time) so im trying to get her all prepped for that.. doing any repairs i can and any cleaning i can maybe uprgade some cheap stuff.. hoping you guys can point me towards a few things i should do maintenance/cleaning/upgrades wise.. last weekend i pulled the air intake manifold off.. very nasty had to wire brush with parts cleaner then pressure wash.. any ideas are greatly appreciated.. just dont wanna spend alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No point in upgrading something you're going to sell in a year. If there are any operational problems address those. Verify that all the windows, door locks, front and rear wiper and spray work. Do the same for turn and brake lights, check the fan belt, change oil if needed and other fluids topped off, check brake pad wear, tires wearing evenly, dash and other buttons illuminate.

If it runs good there is nothing else to fix yet, though a potential buyer might like to see a clean engine bay in addition to a clean interior and detailed exterior with the rubber scrubbed and dressed... or not, there's only so much you can do and then the value still depends on Bluebook and the market in your area. Minor inexpensive things can be done by a buyer as well as yourself so they may not place much value on them.

Just make sure everything works as it should. These old explorers are very common, so a fully functioning vehicle will set you apart from a lot of other used Explorers, and other used vehicles too. Check to make sure all of the interior buttons/knobs work, replace blown bulbs, hose off the frame and under body, repair and rips or holes inside, and track down any odd rattles or squeaks. Anything that a buyer can use to talk you down in price (needs tires, brakes, exhaust, etc...) can be replaced by you, but you will likely not get back what you put in. However, having these types of things done can attract more potential buyers.

Upgrades and modifications almost never add value to old used cars like Explorers. Keep it as stock as you can, and have service records handy. You can dump $3k into a $1.5k car, and you will still only have a car worth $1.5k. Too many people don't understand this concept.

Cleaning it and making it look good won't add to the value, but it could make the selling process a hell of a lot easier. If you were looking at two similar vehicles to buy, would you rather buy the one with old McD's bags and candy wrappers in the back, or one that is vacuumed, washed, and looks like the PO took care of it? A little bit of Windex, vacuuming, and Spot Shot for stains can go a long way. And a simple wash is better than showing up caked in dirt and road grime.

Oh yeah those are all the things in planning on doing guys.. i guess by upgrades i more or less meant known issues that maybe i havent had yet or maybe things ive overlooked cuz they havent become significant enough to notice.. i dont drive it everday my girlfriend does so i dont get to experience all the little things.. mostly i just dont wanna be the guy that sells a vehicle and they regret it right away cuz something breaks when im fully capable if fixing it up (granted im not willing to put alot of money into it but i do enjoy working on it)

As long as it shifts smoothly, tranny fluid isn't burnt, doesn't burn/leak a bunch of oil, and doesn't have the timing chain rattle, there isn't much you can do outside of normal maintenance. Use full synthetic oil if you aren't already. Being in MN, you might want to check for and get rid of any major rust spots. Rustoleum sells a super cheap undercoating spray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT49A...lid=1DEAXQMF7XXYQ&coliid=I2GWF3XBMY7QDH&psc=1. It isn't the best, but you can probably do the whole underside of the truck for $20 and a few hours of prep.

Back