Maintenance question on Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance question on Explorer Sport

pecha

Reaction score
City, State
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport XLT
Hi, just a quick question.
How often should I change the transmission fluid in my 2003 Explorer Sport? It has a 5 spd automatic tranny and a 4.0 V6.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every 30,000 miles. Also, assuming it's 4wd, the book calls for doing the transfer case fluid (it's ATF also) at 60,000.

Yes, it is a 4wd. Thanks for the info!

Yes, every 30k for the transmission. However, for the transfer case, on page 38, the only two operating conditions which call for any special transfer case maintenance are operating in dusty conditions and operating off road. In all other cases, the t-case is *supposedly* lubed for life (just like the axles, wink-wink). Changing the fluid every 60K is excessive for normal on-road operation. IMHO, no more often than 100k is necessary.

-Joe

Hmm, I checked my manual and you're right. I had two Rangers before, same t-case as the Sport Trac, and they called for changing the t-case lube at 60k.
The second Ranger I changed at 45k just for kicks and the t-case lube looked like tar, not nice pink ATF. I'd change it at 60k anyway just to be safe, it's not hard to do. (My first Ranger got demolished when someone ran a stop sign and hit me, it never got enough miles on it to do that.)

Back