• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance question

jlittle67

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT V-6
Hey guys new member here. My wife’s 2017 Explorer XLT, FWD V-6 just cracked 35,000 miles. We bought it new so I know the oil has been changed every 5k. Any other maintenance that needs to be done around this time? ATF? Coolant? I’ll take a look at the air filter that could maybe use replacing. Any tips or hints would be helpful. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys new member here. My wife’s 2017 Explorer XLT, FWD V-6 just cracked 35,000 miles. We bought it new so I know the oil has been changed every 5k. Any other maintenance that needs to be done around this time? ATF? Coolant? I’ll take a look at the air filter that could maybe use replacing. Any tips or hints would be helpful. Thanks.

Check your owners manual. 5k is overkill. Coolant doesn't need to be touched for at least another 20k.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As mentioned above, the Owner's Manual shows Ford's recommended service intervals. Of course owners are free to do as they wish. I have the oil changed twice a year, usually with the seasonal tire swap. That works out to about changing the oil about every 1275 miles (2052 kms). There is a thread that discusses 'intervals'. Oil Change interval Another issue is the PTU which seems to have caused problems for some owners. There are many threads on that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right. Here is one on how a member did his own fluid change. How to: - PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Peter

If you have money to burn, ask the dealership to give you the whole works, which will be a few hundred dollars for them to keep your vehicle on the lift for majority of time, while the techs are drinking coffee and earning the big bucks.

As with everything, you are free to do what you want and listen to whomever you like. Best thing to do is to educate yourself and learn to diy some things to keep costs down.

Good luck. You're going to get a ton of varying advice around here. You'll have to cut through it and figure out what is best for you.

Hey guys will you have a PTU if you have front wheel drive only with the 2.3?

No you won't. PTU = Power Transfer Unit. Otherwise known as a transfer case, it's only on the AWD Explorers.

DIY is a good thing to do and like mentioned above will keep the cost down plus you’ll get the enjoyment of the “hands on” with your own vehicle. If you choose overkill like me, it’ll be relatively inexpensive.

If you have money to burn, ask the dealership to give you the whole works, which will be a few hundred dollars for them to keep your vehicle on the lift for majority of time, while the techs are drinking coffee and earning the big bucks.
If this was meant for me, then no, I don't have money to burn, but it definitely isn't a concern. BTW, the IOLM was at 53% after 1180 miles.

Peter

Not at 35k.

Enjoy the ride. I wouldn't touch the transmission until at least 75k miles, factory spec is 120k or so. Plugs might be shot closer to 80. Coolant can go at least 60k if not far more.

Not at 35k.

Enjoy the ride. I wouldn't touch the transmission until at least 75k miles, factory spec is 120k or so. Plugs might be shot closer to 80. Coolant can go at least 60k if not far more.
You need to remember that there are a lot of people out there that are just ignorant of how to maintain things. Just because oil may go 10k or more miles doesn't mean someone shouldn't be checking level monthly and or replacing it sooner than 10k. Just because coolant may be able to go 100k miles doesn't mean one shouldn't check pH every year or so. Just because plugs may be able to go 100k or more, doesn't mean gap shouldn't be checked every 30-50k. By the time you do checks/maintenance, you may as well consider alternatives, especially if you diy, as you can save money and replace parts or stuff that is wearing out over time. The whole idea is to do it when it's convenient for you.

Just an alternative. I flush and fill coolant every 2 yrs at a cost of ~$10 per vehicle. Trans flush and fills cost me ~$25. Plugs are also cheap. It's just a little time. Diy allows me to maintain my car the way I choose and when I choose for significantly less than other alternatives.

It just seems odd to recommend that people wait a long time or don't maintain their vehicles. It's a huge expense like a house. Better to do some/more pm and keep an eye on stuff than little or no pm. To each his own though.

If this was meant for me, then no, I don't have money to burn, but it definitely isn't a concern. BTW, the IOLM was at 53% after 1180 miles.

Peter
Oh no, not meant for you Pete.
I believe the local Ford dealership you go to is one of the more honest ones, as I did end up finding a new Ford dealership that was very good, prior to selling the EX.

You need to remember that there are a lot of people out there that are just ignorant of how to maintain things. Just because oil may go 10k or more miles doesn't mean someone shouldn't be checking level monthly and or replacing it sooner than 10k. Just because coolant may be able to go 100k miles doesn't mean one shouldn't check pH every year or so. Just because plugs may be able to go 100k or more, doesn't mean gap shouldn't be checked every 30-50k. By the time you do checks/maintenance, you may as well consider alternatives, especially if you diy, as you can save money and replace parts or stuff that is wearing out over time. The whole idea is to do it when it's convenient for you.

Just an alternative. I flush and fill coolant every 2 yrs at a cost of ~$10 per vehicle. Trans flush and fills cost me ~$25. Plugs are also cheap. It's just a little time. Diy allows me to maintain my car the way I choose and when I choose for significantly less than other alternatives.

It just seems odd to recommend that people wait a long time or don't maintain their vehicles. It's a huge expense like a house. Better to do some/more pm and keep an eye on stuff than little or no pm. To each his own though.

I don't believe I suggested that anyone wait a long time or don't maintain; I suggested intervals that seemed to comport well with my experience, especially since OP didn't define any special operating conditions which would necessitate more aggressive intervals for replacement. If anyone wants to check more frequently and perform more preventative maintenance than warranted, more power to them.

I may have misunderstood the post or the spirit of the same, but since it was quoting mine, I felt it necessary to clarify the position a bit. Feels like part of my message didn't make it from my brain to the keyboard. Hmm.

You were basically suggesting no trans service necessary for 75-120k miles. Right? Wrong? Don't care? My experience has shown that folks that don't have knowledge or experience with cars and can't determine how to maintain them tend to have more difficulties when following a manufacturers low or no maintenance plan.

Maintenance schedules and suggested intervals can be found all over the net. People just need to educate themselves, do the checks and get on a schedule that makes sense for them. At the end of the day, your or my personal experiences are somewhat meaningless as there are folks that maintain vehicles well and stuff still fails and there are folks that do no maintenance and seemingly have great luck with few/no problems.

The factory spec for the transmission is well over 100k, which I would agree is too long. I ran my car into 60k without any trans issues (and a serious doubt that the interval is 50% too generous.). I had planned to swap mine out by 75 until I sold the car. Beyond, OP asked a question, I offered my thoughts which (much as yours) tend to differ from the factory specs which can be reviewed--but the value in asking on a forum is to get opinions, so I offered that.

Other than that, happy motoring. As someone who goes hard on maintenance, if you do any UOAs are able to share other observations, I'm sure we'd all love to see and hear them, even as specific to your use case and it might be. I was only able to share a UOA on my PTU previously with the forum, which isn't helpful in this thread for obvious reasons.

Back