Major help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major help needed

Post number 8 has been selected as best answered.

EdwardB

Reaction score
City, State
Cle Elum,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited
I have a 97 Explorer limited edition and the headlights won't turn off with the switch. I have to pop the hood and disconnect them. I was told the switch could be bad so I replaced it and still the same. Need ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the headlight relay. It is in the Power Distribution Box under the Air Filter box, mounted to the Air Box Plate.

Is it based on trim level? I've found it under the hood helping a coworker
You could be correct,
I wonder if the op has daytime running lights, or, the auto headlights controlled by rear view mirror switch, possible lights out module ( LOM)
@EdwardB
If there is a connector on the rear view mirror, unplug it from mirror and see if lights switch off.

Yes have run into this before
The rear view mirror controls the auto lights try disconnecting the wiring connector form the back of the rear view mirror as turdle suggested

I had the same on my '99 due to the mirror switch going bad as well. The mirror being unplugged worked for me. Just adding to what they already said, try unplugging that and seeing what ya get

@EdwardB I found that AFTER turning the headlamp switch OFF and AFTER removing the key from the ignition, if you can hold the mirror still with one hand, you can force the slider on the mirror past the farthest left position, and that will cut the headlamps. This problem usually occurs because either debris becomes jammed inside the slider, or simply exposure to the elements for 20+ years corrodes the contacts. Some find that cleaning the slider rail makes it work like new, but if you're inclined to completely disable the auto-lamp function, do as the others say, and unplug the wire on the back of the rear-view mirror.

To play the Devil's advocate, the auto function can actually be quite helpful, under certain circumstances, so do consider keeping the wiring intact so that you can reactivate it if you should so desire.

Both of my Ex's ('99 and '00) have that same problem with the slider. Very common problem with 2nd-gens.

just replace headlight switch, it's common problem

Back