Major issues on 3rd day, 55 miles. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major issues on 3rd day, 55 miles.

thedanman

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Plat
20 ST
77 F150
Explorer ST:

Car wouldn't start this morning. Dash illuminated but when hitting the start button it simply flashed the headlights like it was possessed. After messing around figured out I could get it to start by using remote start on the fob.

Drove to work, switched drivers and during the switch I took my foot of the brake. Car engine stopped. Dash went the mode it does when the engine isn't running. Blinking headlights, flashed dozens of times in a few seconds. Possessed. Restarted with fob remote start, hit the start button to begin driving. Everything seemed fine. Took foot off brake with driver door open, car engine stopped and dash went back to non-started mode. Did remote fob again, didn't remove foot from brake and put in drive, drove fine.

Called dealer, said I can bring it in tomorrow and have a loaner.

Ughhh!!!

FYI, *LOVE* the adaptive cruise and lane centering. Drove it in a traffic jam this morning and performmed extremely well. Love everything else. I've put 49 miles on it.

Makes weird actuator/servo noises if it's been off for a while and I open/close the doors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that the Stop/Go feature is not supposed to work if the vehicle is in Park so the engine turning OFF in your situations isn't normal. I wonder if it an issue with that Stop/Go feature. This type of problem was never reported on the 5th gen.
As for the "actuator/servo noises' see; Sound after sitting a while

Peter

I'm guessing that the Stop/Go feature is not supposed to work if the vehicle is in Park so the engine turning OFF in your situations isn't normal. I wonder if it an issue with that Stop/Go feature. This type of problem was never reported on the 5th gen.
As for the "actuator/servo noises' see; Sound after sitting a while

Peter
Thanks for the reply. I meant the stop and go as a review on the car. As for the failure I think it's unrelated as even when starting this morning after sitting for 30 hours that was the symptom. Also, when we switched drivers at my work, I had cruise control disenagaged several miles prior to that as I was driving in town and well off the highway.

If your Explorer spent months between production and delivery (as mine did) you might want to have the battery checked. It may be discharged and marginal voltage levels will play havoc with your Explorer's electronics. It's also possible that your battery is defective.

First thing I did when I got my 2020 Platinum home was to slow-charge the battery overnight. After the charge and letting it "rest" for an hour, I tested it with my Midtronics conductance tester and found that my battery's capacity actually exceeds its specification. That's a good thing.

If your Explorer spent months between production and delivery (as mine did) you might want to have the battery checked. It may be discharged and marginal voltage levels will play havoc with your Explorer's electronics. It's also possible that your battery is defective.

First thing I did when I got my 2020 Platinum home was to slow-charge the battery overnight. After the charge and letting it "rest" for an hour, I tested it with my Midtronics conductance tester and found that my battery's capacity actually exceeds its specification. That's a good thing.

I found that I needed to charge my battery as well and it was not really sitting for a long period of time. These AGM batteries charge differently than the old standard. Wonder if they didn't charge them correctly before factory install on the line??

Thanks for the info. Note that the first time it happened, it had been in the garage for over a day after a 25 mile drive home. It continued to happen when I arrived at work, which is a good 25 minute drive, so I would expect the battery to topped off by then. Nevertheless, when my wife left work to pick me up, she had no problems and it acted normally. When we switched drivers, everything was fine as well. Stopped at the store, got some stuff and started normally again. As of right now, everything is back to normal.

Check that the battery cables are correctly tightened, not loose.

Imo the battery was run down. Mine was on lot for about 3 weeks, mileage was 35 and hours 6. Lots of in and out with fiddling of electric features by gawkers......I knew our batt was run down. At first it lost our radio presets. Drove it 70 miles and it's all set now.

Wasn't job 1 at the beginning of May? If so, the only way for a 2020 to have spent months between production and delivery is if it was one of the first built and it was just sold recently, or if it was quarantined to FRAP for rework and spent a couple months there.

Problem is gone now, starting to suspect the battery like you guys. Yesterday afternoon and all of my trips today have been good. Really love the new Explorer.

Wasn't job 1 at the beginning of May? If so, the only way for a 2020 to have spent months between production and delivery is if it was one of the first built and it was just sold recently, or if it was quarantined to FRAP for rework and spent a couple months there.

My 2020 Platinum was built on July 10, sent to FRAP on July 11, returned to Chicago on July 21, and delivered to me on September 13. So for my Explorer, more than two months elapsed between production and delivery.

Details of the journey between placing the order and taking delivery can be found here:

2020 Silver Spruce Platinum ordered

Has anyone noticed their rear passenger door glass seem oddly loose in the tract?
I'm not sure if it an issue or not. Dealer service dept. Checked another 2020 in stock and said it felt similar to mine. Over certain bumps and when 1/4 open, I can hear one thumping around. Ty.

Nope, no rattling ir bumping. It should not be loose.

Nope, no rattling ir bumping. It should not be loose.
Open halfway, grab with hand and check front to back play.. Might be designed with some play......or mine and one that dealer checked is effed. The fronts dont move, or very little.

Back