• Register Today It's free!

major mods

FordmoPar69

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer 4X4 V6
what i am looking for is a good long travel suspension for my '05. i am also considering a tranny swap for a 5 speed in the future ans wondering if it has been tried and what ones will work. and lastly is ther anyone that make 3v heads for the v6 or is that goin to be a completely custom job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For suspension-
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275326

For the tranny swap, you'll need to find a 5-speed Explorer and go from there. Not sure if they made them in 4x4 though. Why do you want a 5-speed?

And for the heads, stick with what you have. There are no 3V heads available and you can do better things to gain power for the money. Exhaust, tune, CAI, UDP and more expensively, a supercharger or turbo:D

You dont need a tranny from an Ex. One from a sport trac or ranger will work fine. And they do make them in 4x4(very few). Even more rare than the manual 3rd gen is one with 4WD.

dude, take the leap and convert to a V8!!!

If you want to convert it its gonna be a *****. You would have to do alot of transmission work and get you one from a 96 F150.
What are your intentions with converting it to a manual if you don't mind me asking?

If you want to convert it its gonna be a *****. You would have to do alot of transmission work and get you one from a 96 F150.
What are your intentions with converting it to a manual if you don't mind me asking?

its just a thought at the moment. i'm looking to turn it into a bit of a desert racing truck and i am looking to get a bit of more control over the tranny.:salute:

Ok. Well it would be easier to keep it a V6 and swap the tranny.

I say sell the Ex, ride a bicycle to work for the next 6 months and then buy a Ford Raptor with the 6.2. Problem solved:D (and yes it's an automatic, but it's ready to play in the desert)

Raptor... *drool*

Just look for a 97 and up f150 to swap to the 5 speed then go with a manual t case

Back