Major tuneup accomplished! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Major tuneup accomplished!

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
First time I've wrenched on an engine in nearly 20 years. I'm sore as hell and tired! Changed the valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires and PCV valve. Took me 12 hours, which isn't something to be proud of, but it was worth the effort. Plugs, wires and PCV were original 2000 OEM with 140k miles. Some of the plugs were worn down to the insulator. Surprised it ran as good as it did. PCV was a mess. Had to replace the grommet, hoses and elbow fittings. FYI, the fittings at the parts store don't match the Ford OEM. Had to improvise a little.

Removing the intake plenum wasn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be. A real knuckle buster. Probably the most frustrating part of it was getting the gasket in position because the plenum totally obscures its location during assembly.

The engine has noticeably more power and response. Never imagined plugs and wires could have made so much difference

Bruces expo

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Middle GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
Congrats on the Improved Power And Response ! , I need to do the same to mine as well , Will do After I get my Used trans put in this week sometime