Major Water Leaking - Please Help Quickly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major Water Leaking - Please Help Quickly

kimgre36

Reaction score
City, State
columbus
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer
Leakage started slowly from what appeared a top hose. After wiping all hoses and motor dry from underneath 91 explorer, I thought I saw the water leaking from the front, top end of the motor. Within 2 weeks, there was not just a leak, but the water now is streaming from the (what appears to be) motor. I've take it to a near by shop (someone I've never used before) and they say the water is coming from the intake. They say it will cost a little of $400 to fix. Frankly, I don't trust this shop (from what I'm hearing from others who have used him) and was going to take it somewhere else to another opinion. I first want to check here and see if anyone has any ideas what could be the problem (I pray not the intake and mechanic is wrong). Miles are around 140k. HELP!!! I cant afford to put a whole lot of money into this truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds about right

My 92 did the same at about that mileage too. 400 was the price to fix too, but got new water pump also.

it could be the thermostat housing (where the upper radiator hose enters the front of th engine)

This could be a simple fix

It could be the head gasket

This would be the $400+ fix

It could be the water pump, this would be more on the front of the engine behind the fan, $100-300 fix

It could be any number of hoses, or a simple fitting on the intake manifold where a water passage is located.

Can you give us a better description or even take a picture of where the stream is originating from?

I had same problem! Its the gasket between the intake manifold and the engine block. I did it myself. it was a lot of work, I think $400 is a good deal.

Back