expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
so i was reading motor trend in class today and a few facts jumped out at me-

1. The hemi durango is .8 seconds slower in the 1/4 than a similarly equipped nissan pathfinder armada which is longer, wider, and can tow more.

2. the pontiac grand prix acheived the exact same slalom mps results as the AZTEC!

3. the murcielago's slalom mph was only 3 better than said aztec, and was behind every bmw other than the x5 3.0 litre.

anyways, the point is how weak is the stupid hemi ram? I'm so sick of their commercials and the fact that the are working and that public perception is that they are "cool" and "fast" while the the truth is just the opposite.

on the same token though- how come the fricking expedition is so dang weak? teh hemi durango is disappointing, but the expedition doesn't even live up to the acceleration expectations that go along with the 260 hp it does have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On Car and Driver TV the other day the Hemi Durango ran a 15.4. That armada must be hauling some ass to be running a 14.6.

But I still hate the way the damn Durango looks...quite a disgrace.

I like the new Pathfinders. and the numbers on the 5.6 look good too! Thats hilarious about the Grand Prix and Aztec. Is that a good thing for the Aztec or a bad thing for the Grand Prix?

I also wouldn't put any stock in any of the numbers Motor Trend reports...

As for the Expedition, somehow I doubt acceleration times were first and foremost in the designer's minds...

I am very open minded when it comes to new cars and trucks coming out. Most I like. Most are tasteful and elegant enough without straying away from being rugged. The new Durango, I just don't get. The front half of the truck does not match the other half at all. The back end looks like it belongs to some other vehicle from a third world country or something. The same can be said is true with Nissan Armada.

c443596a.jpg

first of all, Motor Trend is lame. their tests are so god-aweful no one even pays attention to their times anymore. with that said...

the new Durango is stupid, ugly, and crap. such a wonderful engine stuffed inside such a heavy (for its size) ugly van looking POS. in all honesty, i really really like the styling of the 1st gen Durango. had it not been for the notorious Dodge auto and a higher resale, i would have bought one instead of the X. the new Durango just looks like something my mom would like.

BTW, the Armada shares the same 300hp/380ft.lb. motor of the new Titan. from what ive seen, this engine is SERIOUSLY under-rated and is a hardcore stump puller. i would like to see one stock on a rear wheel dyno after its broken in. i bet its along the lines of the LS-1, rated at 300hp but really putting out about 320-330.

wow is that pic real.

That is one butt-ugly vehicle. It truly looks photoshoped. It's like a durango meets excursion, or some strange conglamoration. :rolleyes:

Come on that has got to be a good photoshop. I just can't quite identify the source of the rear half. :confused:

Maybe I'm just retarted or something but I like the look of the new Durango. But remember, it is just my opinion so don't bash me for it. :)

The new Durango looks like a mini-van. :nono:

I hope ford will step up on the power for their truck/suv line soon. How do they make 300hp for a 4.6l sohc 3v, 300hp for 5.4sohc 3v and 300hp for a dohc 4v, 300hp for a 5.4 dohc 4v? I wont even mention all the others under that.

You'll have to catch the proper angle for the pathfinder armada to look right but the durango dont look right at any angle.

i like the nissan titan. i wish the chrome was a dull silver instead of chrome though. yeah this thread isn't about the titan but it was brought up.

I like the looks of the Durango, and am seriously looking at purchasing one.
After driving one I dont think the 5.7 is that much of an engine. I dont know what it is, but it felt weak. I ran the stock rear 3.55 in a fully loaded Limited and it was a dog down low, felt a bit better with rpm's, but while it sounded nice driving around town, it didnt really go anywhere. I was disappointed. Im looking for one with the 3.92 rear, which may wake it up.

The Armada I drove was strong, strong- the engine is decent and power is good even with a higher final drive ratio (3.23 or so). The Armada is a bit more cash than the Durango though.

It just goes to show you how ahead of it's time the Aztec is.:D

A hemi Durango would embarass my stock 5.0 right? I've been waiting to line up against one, but I don't asume I will impress any one :p

Originally posted by NOTAJP
The new Durango looks like a mini-van. :nono:

According to my 76 year old aunt, so does are Explorers.

Last month 4-Wheel and Off Road and Four Wheeler both ran the new vehicle tests. Their tests are a little more real world. I believe that they were disappointed with the 04 Durango, compared to the new offerings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever think that this hemi inside the durango is embarrassed or bashful? It's kinda the same thing as a guy with a really big piece but looks ugly and weighs 400lbs.

Back