• Register Today It's free!

make your own stick welder

92blusilvxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Harbor washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
My bro was telling me how he made his own welder out on the trail with 2 batterys some jumper cables and some weld sticks. anyone out there do this? if so what were your results

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes it will work, not the best idea, but if thats all you have to get you off the trail then go for it. not really a great idea to do for general use instead of going out and buying a welder though

You could do some spot welds on 16 ga, sheet metal with that setup

A friend of mine is a heavy eqip mech in the Army. He told me they do this alot out in the field. I don't know if you could get a good enough current with two car batteries though.

Lt.Jim said:
A friend of mine is a heavy eqip mech in the Army. He told me they do this alot out in the field. I don't know if you could get a good enough current with two car batteries though.
Will not happen with two batts, tack welds, sure, a strong bead on even a busted shackle, no way

i imagin that it wouldnt last long so it would have to be a quick weld iv never done that iv only used mig with gas .35 wire or a stick welder that we go at the shop

I've seen this done, not pretty, you'd be better off carrying a flux welder and a 3500 watt converter, but I'm not sure you can weld on your own vehicle with it, since alot of the alternator welders recommend disconnecting the battery to weld, and I'm not sure if the converters isolate well enough to not pop somthing from the extra voltage

My dad and i welded a broken shock mount on his '68 land rover on the trail. he has a dual batt setup and borrowed a third battery from another guy who was wheelin with our group. its been over 4 years since and the weld hasn't broken.

Back