Making an OBDII PCM to dongle adaptor cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Making an OBDII PCM to dongle adaptor cable

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I have looked for pinout charts online and even searched here too. I need one for the 1997 5.0, 1st year 5.0. I need the one that shows the picture of the connector and then the numerical charts. Post here please. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the PCM I assume? I found this topic linked below but can't see the attachments without an account there:

Here's one for a '98 5.0L Explorer:

PCM-Conn-1998-5.0L.png

pins1.png

pins2.png

@J_C Did I leave out the word PCM? Thanks! I did find that link that you found.
@410Fortune Maybe Jamie has a 1997 PCM pinout chart. I think that I recently got a 1999 Ranger 3.0 one from him?

@410Fortune Are you a member of classicbroncos.com or anyone else a member?

I will be taking two PCMs to a tuner soon. He doesn't have the Ford adapter to hook the dongle to the PCM. He normally has the vehicle in his shop. I need to make one out of an underdash diagnostic port and a 104 pin connector. Which of all of the 104 posibilites do the 4 or 5 wires from the port plus the two power wires go to on the PCM connector? Working on it...
So far I see pin
55 constant power keep alive power (yellow)
71-97 paired together-Power hot in start or run (red)
24-Power ground and other spliced together (black with white stripes)
13-DLC (purple)
15-DLC bus - neg (pink with blue stripe)
16-DLC bus +pos (tan with orange stripe)
note: can bus wires twisted together
Am I missing any? I need to find data port wiring (pinout)

@Stic-o has a bronc, but a newer one than i imagine classic broncs covers

I will be taking two PCMs to a tuner soon. He doesn't have the Ford adapter to hook the dongle to the PCM. He normally has the vehicle in his shop. I need to make one out of an underdash diagnostic port and a 104 pin connector. Which of all of the 104 posibilites do the 4 or 5 wires from the port plus the two power wires go to on the PCM connector? Working on it...
So far I see pin
71-Power hot in start or run
24-Power ground
13-DLC
15-DLC bus - neg
16-DLC bus +pos
Am I missing any? I need to find data port wiring (pinout)
I don't know how to do what you're trying to, so don't know if you're missing any. I did find a higher resolution pic of the connector and pin descriptions, for a '99 not a '97, but all the pins you listed above, are the same on this attachment, though it calls #15/16 an SCP Data bus instead of DLC.

I don't know which power and ground are relevant, but I see a #51, 76, 77, and 103 power ground, and along with your listed #71 VPWR, there is also a #97 VPWR.

Attachments

• 1999 Explorer PCM Pinout Diagram.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 58

Okay looking further at the '99, which I hope is relevant as it seems to have the same pinout, the PCM going to the data link connector is #13, 15, 16 which seemed obvious enough, so not knowing any more than this, I think I'd just tie pins 51, 76, 77, and 103 to #24 so all are grounded, and tie #71 and 97 together to the power source. I could be wrong.

Attachments

• 14-1.pdf
    166.3 KB · Views: 55

@J_C Over the weekend I was attempting to understand how custom tuning, remapping works. Along the way I showed a picture that belongs to a guy that deleted my Ranger PATS. In between the dongle going to the Laptop he made an adapter of a sort to connect the PCM to the other hardware without it being in a vehicle. Look at the wooden box in the picture. On the right side of the box is an under dash DATA connector. Coming out of the left side of the box is several wires going to the 104 pin connector. I'm trying to figure out how to make one or hope that someone sees this and tell me how to do it. After the long weekend looking up software to use to program PCMs, I decided that I just need to find someone nearby that could custom tune for me. I found a guy, but he has only done custom tuning sitting in vehicles plugged in to the DATA port. I need him to be able to do it for me with the PCM out of the vehicle. In a week or two, I'm going to the junkyard and get the two connectors. One to plug in to the PCM and the under dash one to plug in to a dongle.
pontistevesetup.jpg

usbvlinker.jpg

One end plugs in to the Laptop, the other to the DATA port. Also I'm hoping a Forum user here will see this and say "hey, I custom tune".

Yes I understand what you're attempting to do with making a connector-adapter, but as mentioned I am unsure of which specific powers and grounds need connected since there's more than one of each, but figure it can't be a problem to connect all like pins (for power, and for ground), would be better to have them all hooked up when taken to him. You may already be past this point of knowing what to do.

I have Forscan and the adapter to plug into the data port, but have only used it for diagnostic.

I live in California, so I can't go changing stuff. There starting to clamp down here.

What are you trying to change?

Looking at the picture, the wooden box has 12V power wire going in. It holds rhe OBD connector. Data from the OBD port and power to the PCM. Looks like only 4 wires. Very simple to make.

Pretty much FORScan is only a diagnostic tool. I'm in Alabama and the only inspection that we have is if a vehicle is new to the state, the inspection proves that it is a real vehicle.
What I am wanting to do I would think is possible. I'm wanting someone to copy the 5.0 parameters out of the 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 catch code SLL4 PCM which only has 4 coil drivers for the twin pack waste spark ignition. I want to use a 1999 Crown Victoria catch code FJB1 PCM and harness which is a coil-on-plug, 8 individual plugs, one per cylinder, to make the 5.0 coil-near-plug. I was originally going to use the Holley Terminator X system, but it out of my budget.
I think I can make the 5.0 run with the 4.6 set-up however I would have to have PATS turned off or deleted, whatever occurs when someone does this to a PCM. That is because a chip key and transponder will not be present. The catch code ARA3 PCM for police interceptor gets around this but they are not just laying around. I would think the 5.0 would run lean and have other issues too. This whole PCM controlled thing is new to me so sometimes I may not sound like I know what I'm talking about. I may not. However, I think I understand the very basic fundamentals.
The 4.6 and the 5.0 use the same 19# fuel injectors. Based on the cubic inch difference, the 5.0 is ~ 10% larger than the 4.6. They both have pulse rings on the crank/damper with the same number of teeth. They both share the same firing order. There is a difference in the type of transmission Range Sensor Neutral Safety Switch. I would have to consult with someone who has encountered this.
I'm here online and on this forum searching, talking about this configuration that FoMoCo never did was to make a 5.0 coil-near-plug configuration before they phased out the 5.0 windsor. Maybe a pro Ford tuner will eventually see this and say that he sees what I'm wanting/trying to do and it is doable. Surely the 4.6 operational parameters are adjustable enough to run a stock, bored .040 1997 5.0 & 4R70W.

I have obd2 port in my bii

I often have to wire in obd diagnostics port when doing conversions
They are very simple
You have battery power, accessory power, ground, can bus + and can bus -
Can bus +
And - go directly to pcm
The other wires are usually to abs and or gem module

Yes I am over on classicbroncos those dudes were huge help with the Holley efi setup on the 07 ranger

I am back! I am starting back on the 07 project today as a matter of fact

I think it is possible to run a 4.6 using 5.0 pcm
Mustang dudes do this stuff quite a bit
The 5.0 pcm has 4 coil drivers which run 8 individual coils just two fire at the same time (waste spark)
No reason the 4.6 cannot use waste spark (two coils firing at same time), I’m not sure that the 4.6 is not already waste spark?

So what if the coils are mounted over the plug
Holley is $$$$$$$$ I get that it’s out of my budget too!!
I remember reading many 5.0 mustangs and maybe early bronco dudes switch to a 4.6 and keep their engine computers

My old '97 MM 5.0 ccSL4A has a burned up coil driver. That is why I want to go with the '99 CV 4.6 PCM and have it tuned. I finally found the sub-forum Computer chips and tuning. I'll dig through it this evening.

The 4.6 pcm will control the 5.0. You can use the edis to control coil on plug in a wasted spark configuration.

Will the 5.0
Pcm control the 4.6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for y'alls input. I have to log out from here and prep the '67 FB for AC. I'll check in later.

Back