Making gauges come on w/ auto lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Making gauges come on w/ auto lights

tcbradbury98

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe,KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
Hi, I just used the write-up on installing gauge overlays to put some in my 98 ex eb. I have it all working right but I noticed that the guages won't light if the automatic light sensor is functioning. I mean that they work fine if I manually turn the light switch but not if I let them come on automatically. the factory gauge lights come on, but not the overlays. Any known cures for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the center console(House the radio) and wire the pos wire from the gages to the the wiper light power wire. The hardest part is finding which wire is the power. I took a razor and snipped a piec of each wire one by one and tested it that way. When i found a power source i turned on/off my head lights and see if the gages followed along.
Good luck.

So how do the wiper tie into the auto headlight feature? tying into that circuit will make the gauges work w/ the auto lights?

anybody?

By wiring it into the the wiper switch light, you are wiring it so it will come on when the DASH lights come on, this will be with either the switch or the autolamp feature.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense, but do you know which wire that is? What color? thanks

riverst said:
I took a razor and snipped a piec of each wire one by one and tested it that way. When i found a power source i turned on/off my head lights and see if the gages followed along.

Please, do not do that. Leaving bare wires is the last thing you want. Find a diagram and figure out which wire you need to work with. If you do end up doing it the way above, please - be sure to cover up the bare wire.

-Drew

So I'm wiring it into the wire that lights the rear wiper switch? Long way to run a wire. could I run it into the wire that is energized by the auto light feature? I mean the one that runs to the guages?

anyone?

Did you run the power for your overlays directly to the light switch. Red/black wire. I have overlay and I wired it there and have never had a problem. Overlay illumination will cover up factory lighting other than odometer, etc. If you have dim controller for overlay then you can adjust factory lights dimmer than overlay. I added auto-light mirror afterwards and overlay was never a concern.

I wired it to the wire that is energized when you turn the dash lights on w/ the switch. It is white w/ a black stripe, I guess I will change it to the red/black wire. thanks

Back