making rock sliders. bend pinchweld or not bend it? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

making rock sliders. bend pinchweld or not bend it?

AlanGoering

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Ok, I took my running boards or whatever they are called off (metal steps with plastic over them.), that came stock on my 98 XLT. I have this burly around one inch tall pinch weld sticking down, and im thinking I should bend it flat so I can get my slider closer to the lines of the body under the door. Are there any things wrong with doing that? Its not a for looks thing, I go wheeling as often as I can, so that one inch of extra clearance is completely worth bending that thing down for. Any info would help me. Like opinons on what you would like to see in a slider on a 98. I think im going with the base of the slider rectangle and doing a tube that sticks up and out. Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/796765

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jrgaylor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 BroncoII
That is what I did with mine :thumbsup:

Bronco638

Nobody Home
Reaction score
City, State
Elk Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Expedition XLT
With a body-on-frame truck, like an Explorer, the rocker panel provides very little support for the body. So, bending that pinch weld back (or forward) or cutting it off and re-welding should have no effect (with the exception of giving your sliders 1" more ground clearance).

Jefe

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4x4
I bent my pinchweld up in the locations needed to clear the 2 mounts and I know that Rick bend the entire length of it up to clear his sliders.

AlanGoering

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Thanks for the info, all I need to do now is quit being so lazy and make them. The bad part is I have to clean the garage enough to be able to make them in there (bender bolted to floor or I would make them out front).

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Jefe said:
I bent my pinchweld up in the locations needed to clear the 2 mounts and I know that Rick bend the entire length of it up to clear his sliders.
I did the same thing, except I have three mounts on the frame.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I have also seen the pinch weld used as part of the slider support, spread the load. and it works fine.