malfunctioning oil pressure gauge? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

malfunctioning oil pressure gauge?

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
95 Explorer XLT 4L. When engine is cold oil gauge reads 0 and sometimes bounces up and down sporadically. When the engine is warmed up it seams to read normal. I am assuming it is just a malfunctioning gauge because no oil pressure even for a short time would trigger a trouble code and turn on the check engine light almost immediately right? Also by the same logic a mafuncaning sensor would trip a trouble code too so it must be the gauge itself.

Calling it a 'gauge' is an overstatment. The explorers basically have a oil pressure switch and it's either on or off. I suspect your gauge is sticking. Try smacking the top of the dash over the gauge to see if the needle jumps to the right position. My 95 does this when the outside temperatures get cold.

I am assuming it is just a malfunctioning gauge because no oil pressure even for a short time would trigger a trouble code and turn on the check engine light almost immediately right?

No. It won't. It may turn on a red "gauge" light on the dash if equipped, but that's about it. There is no DTC for low oil or oil pressure.

Calling it a 'gauge' is an overstatment. The explorers basically have a oil pressure switch and it's either on or off. I suspect your gauge is sticking. Try smacking the top of the dash over the gauge to see if the needle jumps to the right position. My 95 does this when the outside temperatures get cold.

LOL exactly!! I have to do this "fix" occasionally.

Back