Manual 1354 Swap Questions...

Nick26

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
Hey Guys, I'm swapping a manual 1354 transfercase for my 4405 Control trac case and before I put the case in I wanted to check with you guys to see if there was anything I should do first. The case is off a 94 Explorer with only 57K miles. I got it for $275 from a junkyard in boston with a warranty and the inside looks real clean with no water and still a little ATF(the yard said they drain them). I plan on getting a tranny/t-case gasket too because I read that RTV sealant will leak. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to fill it with ATF before I put it in to make sure all the seals are still good, or would I most likely not be able to tell with out it spinning? Also I don't need the speedo sensor since my VSS is in my rear for the ABS, so if i leave the top off of it like this will it leak or let water in, if so how should I seal it?
img_3689.jpg

Theres a little rust on the output shaft connector, is this anything to worry about?
img_3697.jpg

Lastly anyone know what this hole is on the rear side above the fill plug? As far as I can tell it is solid at the back.
img_3696.jpg

more pics...
rear side...
img_3699.jpg

front side...
img_3701.jpg

speedo connection...
img_3661.jpg

speedo connector...
speedo.jpg

Sorry for the long post, I just figured the more pics and info I can give the better you guys will be able to help. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been a long time since I've had one apart but I don't recall seeing/using any gaskets between the tranny and t-case. Ford is notorious for using RTV. I learned the hard way on my rear diff not to use a gasket. I could never get that thing to seal for the longest time until I read the Ford service manual that used RTV from the factory.

That hole in the rear is where the shift motor would go if it were an electric shift. I wouldn't worry about that rust so much. You could use a little WD40 and a small wire brush to clean it up before installing you case. You could fill the case with ATF before or after, wouldn't matter. I don't think you will see any leaks until later on down the road.

I don't know what to do about the speedo gear. Might have to fab up a plug of some sort. It will leak and let water in if you don't. Mine leaks now with a speedo cable installed.

Overall I think it looks good and for a great price.

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I filled the top of the speedo sensor with a good glob of RTV last night. Hopefully that will prevent any leakin in or out. I'll take pictures later.

anyone else have any thoughts on the gasket vs RTV issue? i know I read somewhere on this forum that someone had a lot of trouble with the RTV sealing. Anyone else remember seeing that anywhere?

I have put mine back up with RTV and had no problems.

Just becareful with the RTV. If you dab a bit on the face and then bank it around when trying to install your t-case, you prob won't get an even seal or smear the RTV where there is no seal at all. I've done that before. Second time is plenty of practice. ;)

I swapped the electric for manual and then had to replace it when it locked in 4H. I just used RTV it was no problem. There is none made from my searching that I did, so you would have to cut your own.

Also if you don't plug that hole where the speed sensor was fluid will come out there. Just FYI

Alright, I got the old one off tonight, heres the culprit...(it started makin some nasty clattering noises today, good thing i was ready to take it off). Im gonna crack it open this weekend and take a look inside. The shift motor still works great though, anyone need it?
img_3704.jpg

Side by side...
img_3706.jpg

Heres what the top of the speedo sensor looks like now, ain't nothing getting in or out of that!(i made sure it didn't affect the spinning of the gear either)
img_3702.jpg

This is the gasket i got straight from the ford dealership for $4, made for any explorer.
img_3707.jpg

I didn't realize that there was no fluid kept in the tranny extenstion/output housing, that was the reason why i was worried about it sealing so well. i even noticed there is a little drain/breather on the bottom so i wouldn't want RTV to clog that up.
img_3708.jpg

Heres the driveshafts, the old is on top, the replacement on the bottom..
img_3705.jpg

looks good! I am surprised that table is holding both those t-cases!

Did you get the linkage for the case too?

You will be glad you got the gasket- Ive had problems with the rtv only seals. Unless you get the case on absolutely square and dont smear the rtv it seems to leak. Every trans I get back from the shop that uses the rtv between the TC and trans leaks after a while.

I got a new linkage sans the knob from ford parts network- not cheap though about $200 , but the only option since no yards within 500 miles of me had one. I was told more than once that the "parts recyclers" pull the cases and scrap the linkage.

Originally posted by SteveVB
You will be glad you got the gasket- Ive had problems with the rtv only seals. Unless you get the case on absolutely square and dont smear the rtv it seems to leak. Every trans I get back from the shop that uses the rtv between the TC and trans leaks after a while.

what exactly do you mean leaks, cause there is no fluid in there??

yeah, I hope I don't have to buy a new one, i would fab up my own linkage hardware creation before i resorted to that, or I'll just crawl under there and shift it by hand everytime :D

on a side note while I was under there i was looking for the tranny breather tube cause i already extended all my other breathers but could never find the tranny one, is there one on 5spd manual?

Originally posted by Nick26
what exactly do you mean leaks, cause there is no fluid in there??

Some transmissions/cases have fluid in that area. My navajo seemed to leak from that gasket after a rebuild, but when I took the TC off it was dry, but some fluid on the trans output shaft, probably from a bad govenor bore.

hmm
no leads on the shifter, looking myself. Will keep my eyes open for two and let you know if I find anything.

Does the 1354 take the same Mercon ATF as the 4405 did? It looks like there was ATF in there before but I just wanted to make sure.

Yes.

One more thing....on your first post you're talking about filling that speedo connection with the ATV sealant and then you showed the speedo connector globbed up. Did that come on the manual case or is that the one off of your explorer now? Because you have on your tcase (i'm sure you saw it) that goes in it's place. Looks just like the one for the cable, but it has a connection for 2 wires.

Well if anyone needs the linkage that bolts on to the t-case I have a spare but not the shifter linkage.

This is the semi flat piece that has the round pin. Let me know if you need. I paid $30 something for it, then my t-case came with one. I couldn't return so if you want $15.

JoshC, yeah i know the connector your talking about, but for some reason I think it had 3 wires going into it on mine, anyway I haven't touched it, i figured I wouldn't need it on my 99 cause the VSS is in the rear-end for the abs. I think the 97's were different, in that the vss was still in the t-case. section525 ran into that problem when he did his awd swap from a 98 into his 96.

AlaskanJack, thanks but i have that part. Contact pavelow because he was looking for that part, thats the last piece he needed.

i figured I wouldn't need it on my 99 cause the VSS is in the rear-end for the abs. I think the 97's were different, in that the vss was still in the t-case. section525 ran into that problem when he did his awd swap from a 98 into his 96.

So your 44-5 didn't have a gear for the speedo on it? In the same location as the manual case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My case does have that connector but i think the only thing it is used for is a rear driveshaft speed sensor for the control trac system. It was connected to the same harness as the shift motor and I haven't pulled it apart yet to take a look.

Back