• Register Today It's free!

Manual 4x4 to 2x4 switch

JSwie

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015,Explorer 4x4 Base V6
Does anyone make such a thing? I just want 2wd for gas mileage and the ability to select at least 4 high or low depending on weather situations. Just not a fan of traction control and a computer deciding for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone make such a thing? I just want 2wd for gas mileage and the ability to select at least 4 high or low depending on weather situations. Just not a fan of traction control and a computer deciding for me.
Sorry it's a 2015 base explorer with normal v6, 4x4, and tow package

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your Explorer is already functioning in FWD and the automatic transition to AWD is made faster than you can do manually. The Explorer is considered AWD and does not have 4WD hi or Lo capabilities to my knowledge. Not like the previous generations. I haven't heard of anyone looking to do what you are asking about.
BTW, your Explorer's description is in the margin profile.;)

Peter

Thanks man. New to this forum. Nice driving vehicle with good tow capacity I'm just **** retentive about AWD vs 4x4 like the plastic emblem says on the back. It's going to be a daily round trip 60 mile driver and trying to squeeze every bit of mileage I can.

Thanks man. New to this forum. Nice driving vehicle with good tow capacity I'm just **** retentive about AWD vs 4x4 like the plastic emblem says on the back. It's going to be a daily round trip 60 mile driver and trying to squeeze every bit of mileage I can.
Unless you are going to be driving in adverse conditions, I would vebture that you will be driving in 2wd (FWD) 99% of the time. I'm not familiar with the Base trim but I know in others there is a setting called 4WD Intelligent Display that will show you what wheels are being powered.

Peter

Yeah I watched the display and was unimpressed with the amount it was putting to all 4 when it was totally unnesessary.

This topic isn't making sense to me. Isn't it true that there are only two drive systems for '15, FWD or AWD?

IIRC there may be a 4WD badge, but it is still AWD, and there is no activation or deactivation of it. It's always in AWD and if you want the "slightly" better FWD fuel economy, you have the wrong vehicle. No?

Traction control is much less necessary for a FWD-biased vehicle like yours (opposed to the RWD then 4WD engagement system on older generations with 4WD), but it's a very useful feature for anything besides trying to stunt drive/drift/etc where you want to lose traction. Otherwise you should never notice it's there until you need it.

The options for the 5th gen. on some trims were FWD or AWD. Keep in mind that even the AWD was FWD biased and only reverted to AWD electronically when the sensors determined it was required. I believe that putting the Terrain Management System (TMS) into 'Sand' mode was as close to AWD as possible. The new 6th gen. is the opposite. It is RWD biased and engages the front wheels when necessary.

Peter

AWD it's probably why I won't get a later model explorer been there done that with the Safari van no thanks no more no way will I ever want AWD again.

AWD it's probably why I won't get a later model explorer been there done that with the Safari van no thanks no more no way will I ever want AWD again.

Why?

A lot depends upon what you expect to use your vehicle for. I'm on my 7th AWD vehicle since 2002 and I think they're great for everyday use and weather. Not so much if you like to do more than just mild/moderate off-road driving. More and more manufacturers are now offering that system in the cars as well.

Peter

Why ask why? Beause I like four wheel drive duh, and a few times a year I actually do need it carry my wooden boat or canoe up and down a ramp or into the woods

Why ask why? Beause I like four wheel drive duh, and a few times a year I actually do need it carry my wooden boat or canoe up and down a ramp or into the woods
It's always a good idea when adding a post like you did to add an explanation since you know there are going to be people who want to know the reason. In your case, the reason makes perfect sense.

Peter

OP should have purchased fwd explorer or vehicle with 2H option. All-time Auto 4wd or Awd is going to use more fuel. Although my 2003 Explorer had actual 4wd, the only settings were Auto 4wd, 4H, or 4L. You didn't have a 2H setting like my expedition. If you want a 4x4 vehicle with the ability to drive in 2H then that's what you need to purchase.

Back